We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time ski adventure with adult children

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida
First time ski adventure with adult children

We (mom, dad, and two boys in their 20's) will be spending our Christmas vacation in Park City. Will need accommodations, equipment rentals, school, and night activity, and best way to get around. Probably fly into SLC, do we rent car or find some other way to get to PC? Oh, yeah, boys have never skied and I haven't attempted in 30 years.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 222
1. Re: First time ski adventure with adult children

Car is not necessary as it's an easy shuttle from SLC up to PC, about 35-45 minutes. Free bus to get around town. Choice of three resorts - Deer Valley, Park City Mountain Resort, Canyons Resort. Obviously busy time of year. All three resorts are comparable. Plenty of lodging choices. At DV, look at The Lodges for economical and close to base area. Plenty of other options. At PCMR look at Marriott Mountainside. At Canyons look at the Grand Summit.

Have fun.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 18
2. Re: First time ski adventure with adult children

Greetings Cindy, welcome back to the slopes.

20-somethings might prefer to be closer to Main Street, to be right in the thick of things, rather than staying in mountain village or exclusive resort like Montage. Options would be Marriott Summit Watch or the Sky Lodge. You could take the free town shuttle to any of the three ski areas within 4 miles of the hotels. And there is actually a town lift that goes from Main Street to Park City Mountain Resort. You might want to have a little proficiency before using the lift, however. Right outside of the hotels would be several restaurant and bar options as well as galleries, shops, etc.

If you're in town for a week or longer, try each resort and see which one you like the best. If your kids are athletic and pick up the sport quickly, they could really be skiing a lot of terrain on their second or third day. The main thing is to be patient and I always recommend a couple of initial lessons to learn the basics. But there is a point where lessons go at a much slower pace than just trying to figure it out on your own.

Here is a great resource for things to do in the area, as well as lodging and food. You can click on the events link and use the filters to see what will be happening the days you're in town. Keep in mind listings might not be posted yet, as it is still months away. http://www.visitparkcity.com

PCMR has their annual torchlight parade on Christmas Eve.

Other activities would include snowmobiling, a hot air balloon ride, horse drawn sleigh, a spin on the bobsled at Utah Olympic Park, etc.

Tampa, Florida
3. Re: First time ski adventure with adult children

Thanks for the advice about staying in town and the bobsled. I will definitely be visiting the bobsled to satisfy my need-for-speed.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
4. Re: First time ski adventure with adult children

For more speed you could also try the Mountain Coaster at PCMR, which still operates in winter months I believe. Not sure if any zip lines in town will be in operations, but there are a few options.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 39
5. Re: First time ski adventure with adult children

Are you looking for a hotel, suite, condo? price range? You won't need a car if you don't intend to leave PC. For your level of skiing, don't think it matters which mountain. There are multiday passes which provide a discount and I think multi mountain passes (DV and PC are literally next to each other. If you only ski one place then just rent at that mountain. Otherwise, there are rental shops in town. Check out the PC (and the mountain )websites because you will get all the generic info you seek there.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
6. Re: First time ski adventure with adult children

Twenty something would prefer skiing PCMR, that said it will be very packed at Christmas time. On the other hand DV will not be as packed, slopes are better groomed and the food is much better. The beginner area at DV IMO is better then PCMR. It is wider and better groomed. Not a fan of the Canyons, but others love it.

Park City, Utah
reviews: 1
7. Re: First time ski adventure with adult children

As the others have mentioned, if you don't plan to visit areas outside of Park City (like Sundance, Salt Lake City, Little Cottonwood Canyon, etc) you probably won't need a car.

However, if you do wish to visit some of these other areas, there is a local company that delivers 4WD SUVs to your hotel for the day - Park City Four Wheel Drive.

Charlotte, North...
reviews: 22
8. Re: First time ski adventure with adult children

A little late jumping in here, but staying in town is good idea if adult kids like "night life", plus it's fun to walk around Main Street. I like renting a car, driving to all 3 Park City resorts is easy and there is plenty of parking. PCMR is my favorite. I think they groom the best of all 3 & that time of year grooming could be important depending on the amount of snow. I would plan to ski all 3 or at least 2 of the 3 resorts! They are all comparable & yet different. It's fun to see them all!

9. Re: First time ski adventure with adult children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 03, 2014