We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park City in February for a Family of Five

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington
reviews: 6
Park City in February for a Family of Five

We are looking at taking a ski trip for my daughters sixth birthday. Have it tentatively narrowed down to either Park City of Whistler. It will be my wife and I, my six and eight year old daughters and my 12 y/o son. Daughters are beginner/intermediate skiers and son is intermediate/advanced snowboarder. I am leaning towards Park City over Whistler as it seems that our chances of good conditions would be better - though the Whistler village certainly is a draw (not to mention we could drive to Whistler). In any case, I am looking at lodging options for Park City at this time.

We would like a nicer ski-in/out resort that is central to at least some shopping and dining options. We would also like a nice pool and hot tub area for some after skiing fun and relaxing. Finally, we would like a feeling of staying in a ski village and not that of a city next to a ski resort. Price-wise I am hoping to find either two connecting rooms or a two bedroom suite for under $800 per night. A few of the options I have looked at so far are The Canyons Grand Summit, the Park City Marriott Mountainside, and the Sundial Lodge. The Canyons seems like a great option but availability is looking to be an issue. The Marriott looks perfect as well other than being a bit more than we were hoping to pay. I came up with the Sundial Lodge basically through the process of elimination. Any other places I should consider? Mountainside isn't essential, but if it's not mountainside we would like a great location in the town and relatively easy access to the ski lifts. Also, Park City seems like a great option for us, but if anyone has another ski area to recommend I am all ears.

Thanks!

Matt

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 18
1. Re: Park City in February for a Family of Five

Main Street Park City has a triple chairlift that goes straight to the slopes at PCMR. There is nothing is Park City that would resemble staying in a city. It's a quaint old mining town that has seen some development in the last decade or so, but the year round population is only 7,000. Lots of good options for dining and shopping. I think the PCMR Mountain Coaster is operational during the winter as well. Might be fun for a spin.

I know you wanted a swimming pool, so I'm not sure if this would be an option, but have you considered renting a house or condo through VRBO? There are some just steps away from the chair lift that would be a lot cheaper than 800 a night. Here is one I found via a google search, I've never stayed here though.

http://www.vrbo.com/98160#rates

I have stayed at Sundial and liked it. The swimming pool is kid friendly and you're a short walk to the gondola up towards Red Pine. There are a few restaurants at The Canyons and there is also a free town shuttle, so that you could go to 4 miles up the road to Main Street and the Historic District. I haven't seen a route map, so not sure if the shuttle goes to the Park City Outlets Stores and Utah Olympic Park, which might be fun to visit.

You might want to check Marriott Summit Watch as well. They will have access to the PCMR town lift.

As for the skiing/riding. PCMR has great terrain for the ability levels you described and the snow is very light and soft. They do an excellent job at grooming their trails and the whole resort caters to families. The canyons is larger and a more spread out, but is a fantastic resort as well. You could really experience both resorts as they are within a couple of miles apart. Taking a shuttle service or the free bus line would get you to which ever resort you are not residing.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 203
2. Re: Park City in February for a Family of Five

Good advice so far and your choices are good. Whistler Village is nice, but I feel Park City's historic old Main Street - which is an actual 19th century town as opposed to a constructed ski village - has a much better feel. Whistler is a massive mountain but lower elevation and prone to fog, rain, although in February you'll likely be fine. Yes, you can drive a few hours to Whistler so that's a factor. But Park City is less than a two hour flight then a 30-40 minute car or shuttle (you don't have to have a car here, free bus).

Marriott Mountainside is a great choice at Park City Mountain Resort. Mountain plaza with restaurants and shops. Five minutes by free bus to historic Main Street for hundreds more. At Canyons, Grand Summit is best choice - definitely notches above Sundial. As suggested, though, I would look at Main Street options like Marriott Summit Watch or Sky Lodge ($$$$). Marriott summit Watch will give you lift access to PCMR in walking distance plus easier access to more restaurants and shops.

Have fun.

Washington
reviews: 6
3. Re: Park City in February for a Family of Five

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep trying for the Grand Summit as it had the right balance of price, location, a great pool and looked like a nice place. Might make reservations at Marriott Mountainside as a backup since they don't require a deposit and allow cancellations. Marriott Summit Watch was nearly the same rate as Mountainside so I would probably just opt for Mountainside. Sky Lodge would be considerably expensive for what we need and doesn't seem as kid friendly as the others - but looks very nice for an adult trip someday. Sundial is still a contender but only if the others don't pan out.

Thanks again!

Matt

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
reviews: 18
4. Re: Park City in February for a Family of Five

Just so you know, the Canyons is out of town on the bus which runs 3 times and hour. PCMR all the buses stop at the base all day long. I think the PCMR will have more to offer your kids other then skiing. On the other hand the Canyons is closer to New Park, with its Bowling Alley, movie theater, and shopping. Another factor to consider the the Canyons v. PCMR lawsuit. Last year PCMR operated as usual, however, there is no way to know for sure that the lawsuit not effect skiing this year.

Edited: 5:46 pm, August 27, 2013
alvinut
5. Re: Park City in February for a Family of Five

There is virtually no chance that PCMR does not open for business this winter. The parties involved are all too well aware of the resort's critical role in the local economy and community to let that happen.

As for where to go - i think both options are worthy destinations. Definitely convenient to be driving distance from a world class mountain like Whistler, but also hard to beat Park City's combination of easy access, great slopes and fun town if you don't mind the air travel.

6. Re: Park City in February for a Family of Five

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, September 01, 2014