We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Canyons, Utah - late Jan 2014

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
The Canyons, Utah - late Jan 2014

Thanks for all the helpful advice from people who've responded to previous threads! we have decided the Canyons, but now have moved dates from 7th Feb back to the 24th Jan for one week.

I'm aware Sundance is on, but as we are at the tail end of the festival, what will the slopes be like? I'm wondering whether it gets hectic after the festival?

Ideally we want to avoid the crowds and get decent snow, were heading over from Sydney.

Any advice is greatly appreciated....

8 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 194
1. Re: The Canyons, Utah - late Jan 2014

As long as you can find lodging, Sundance is the best time of year to ski as the slopes are not busy with a large number of beds in town being taken by non-skiers. Second half of Sundance is pretty sane and you'll also get in on some of the action. Do make it a point to take in a few films and be a part of one of the world's biggest film festivals. But skiing will be quite fine.

Given the new ownership of Canyons Resort by Vail, you might look at purchasing an Epic Pass this fall - will likely be cheaper than buying day tickets.

Have fun.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 18
2. Re: The Canyons, Utah - late Jan 2014

You should be fine. The last weekend of the festival is much less populated than the first, and as T&C noted, many of the hotel rooms will be occupied by festival goers and not skiers. I've skied at The Canyons during Sundance and it was fine. The resort is huge too, so it's easy to escape the places where people generally congregate (lifts right around the Red Pine Lodge).

You can also obtain free lift tickets for the day you arrive using the Park City Quick Start Program. I don't think it's set up for the upcoming season yet, but keep checking. I've used this program when I lived in New York and it works like a charm. If you arrive by 11:00 am, you have a half day of free riding.

www.visitparkcity.com/quickstart/…

Here is another spot for discount lift tickets.

https://www.skinsee.com/discount-lift-tickets

And yes, at night, I would try to check out some of the Sundance movies and festivities on Main Street. It is on a very, very short list of the premiere film festivals in the world. There is usually some pretty great live music in town too.

Edited: 1:02 am, July 29, 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
3. Re: The Canyons, Utah - late Jan 2014

PS. I've never seen anything at the Canyons to consider it hectic. Especially if you are staying at the resort. That would be Snowbird on a powder day. The snow quality and coverage should be fine by this late in the season as well. Should be a great trip.

Park City, Utah
reviews: 27
4. Re: The Canyons, Utah - late Jan 2014

I agree with T&C comment. The rooms might be hard to book but the slopes will be wonderfully empty except for us locals. And do enjoy the scene on Main St at night. Some free concerts and great people watching. Warm up at various galleries along Main St. and Java Cow for a warm drink. Restaurants on Main will likely be crowded and require you to reserve, and purchase a multi course, fixed price dinner. If you lodge at the Canyons, they run a free bus to and from Main St every hour. There are several good restaurants at the Canyons. I agree to check the epic pass available now against what you pay for daily lift tickets. I suspect they will be $105-125 per day with a small discount for multi-day book. As stated before, this is the first year of Vail Resorts running the Canyons Resort and we can't predict prices until we see them announced. If you want to book ski school, especially for young children, book in Nov or Dec latest, as they were full during some weeks last year. The mountain is amazing!

Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 12
5. Re: The Canyons, Utah - late Jan 2014

I recently learned that the Park City Chamber of Commerce has cancelled the Quick Start program, effective this season. That is a big disappointment, since I always looked forward to that free afternoon of skiing on the day I fly in. From my point of view, it's not cost effective to buy a lift ticket just to get in those few hours of skiing on the first day.

gold coast australia
reviews: 2
6. Re: The Canyons, Utah - late Jan 2014

We are two couples from Brisbane, Australia. For the past 8 years we have skied 6 times at Big White, British Columbia and once in Niseko, Japan. We would like to Ski Utah but to be honest have no idea where to start. Big White has plenty of ski in/out accom and we feel at home there. We are looking for a similar condo - possibly larger as our son & friends would like to join us again. Sleep up to 10 or 12. So, if anyone could give us the heads up where to start we would be appreciative. Looking at Feb 2015.

thanks deborah

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
7. Re: The Canyons, Utah - late Jan 2014

Hi Debbie, welcome to the Wasatch. There are about ten ski resorts within an hours drive from the Salt lake airport. Park City has tons of vacations rentals that could work for you and is home to three resorts within seven miles. Lots of restaurants, bars, and things to do outside of skiing to keep you entertained. Alta/Snowbird would be more isolated from nightlife, restaurants, etc but have great skiing, more challenging terrain, more snow, better mountain views (IMHO) than the PC resorts. Brighton/Solitude, Sundance, Snow Basin and Powder Mountain are the others nearby. You may wish to start your own thread to get some more responses and feedback.

Little Rock
reviews: 17
8. Re: The Canyons, Utah - late Jan 2014

Deborah, I would recommend that you start your own post / thread, and that way you will get answers directed to you as opposed to people who are looking at / answering the original poster's question.

Reply to: The Canyons, Utah - late Jan 2014
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted