We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Altitude and Infant

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 3
Altitude and Infant

Greetings,

I'll be traveling from Atlanta to SLC with a 4.5 month old baby. Just wondering if this was an issue regarding altitude for other's babies who have made this trip? I've never traveled to that altitude myself, so really not sure. We would be flying directly to SLC and immediately driving to our destination of Park City. I'm aware that a bottle for take off/landing might help, however, I'm more concerned with the overall change in altitude. Any tips, experience, advise, or warnings are appreciated.

Thanks from first time worried Mommy

8 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 194
1. Re: Altitude and Infant

Don't know if you've been on an airplane with the infant before, but the cabin pressurization of an aircraft is similar to the elevation you will experience here. Others may have more specific input, but I don't think you'll find it to be an issue.

Have fun.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 18
2. Re: Altitude and Infant

Park City's base elevation is around 6,900 feet above sea level. Resorts like the Montage in Deer Valley are closer to 8,600 feet. You may want to check the specific lodgings elevation and consult with your pediatrician. Everything I am reading says it should not be a problem if your child is over three-months- old and the elevation you are staying is under 8,000 feet, where problems typically develop. You can take trips to this altitude for short periods or for longer periods after acclimatizing at intermediate lower elevations.

A good remedy would be to stay in Salt Lake for a night and gradually acclimate your bodies to higher altitudes. Salt Lake is around 4,300 feet above seas level and would help the transition. There is also a hospital in Park City that probably has oxygen available for worst case scenarios. Here are a couple of articles I found on the subject, but again I would consult your pediatrician.

babycenter.com/404_is-it-safe-to-travel-at-h…

parkcitymountain.com/site/…altitude-sickness

cpnonline.org/CRS/CRS/pa_altisick_hhg.html

Edited: 8:02 pm, July 22, 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 18
3. Re: Altitude and Infant

That last link didn't work so I'll try again.

www.cpnonline.org/CRS/CRS/pa_altisick_hhg.htm

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 3
4. Re: Altitude and Infant

Many thanks for taking the time and sending these links. Montage in Deer Valley is exactly where we are headed. Will have a look at this information on the links, and consult with the Pediatrician.

Much Appreciated

Little Rock
reviews: 17
5. Re: Altitude and Infant

Drink lots of fluids (water, not alcohol or caffeinated drinks) as you will dehydrate quickly in the dry climate. Changes (dehydration, etc.) in infants / children can occur much quicker, as their bodies are much smaller.

Start drinking as soon as you get on the plane and continue on the srive to PC. I usually drink two or three bottles (40 to 60 fl oz) between Salt Lake and Park City + what I consume on the plane.

Edited: 10:39 pm, July 22, 2013
TEXAS
reviews: 16
6. Re: Altitude and Infant

I have my 7 month old here now and he did great. Made sure he got his bottles fully and a little pedialyte (ask your pediatrician).

Salt Lake City, UT
reviews: 9
7. Re: Altitude and Infant

If the child is healthy, especially with respect to his or her respiratory system, I wouldn't worry, but I'm no medical professional. Come to think of it, we took our son on a drive up to Mirror Lake (ca. 10000 ft) elevation the week after he was born and didn't think twice about it. Just be on the lookout for signs of dehydration of course.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 86
8. Re: Altitude and Infant

Last year we had our 1 month old grandbaby with us in Colorado Springs. We decided to drive to Pikes Peak. The attendant at the pay station would not allow our newborn to go. I can't remember what age they were allowed at this point, nor what (if any) reasoning they gave. Maybe it is simply an inability to adjust ear pressure and maybe it was something else. Certainly something to think about.

Reply to: Altitude and Infant
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted