We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I have never been to Salt Lake Area . Looking for a getaway

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 2
I have never been to Salt Lake Area . Looking for a getaway

My Husband and I are in good shape in early 50's. looking to spend a few days around Salt Lake or Park City for peaceful, good food (health), coffee, Mornings, walking, shopping, scenery. Done the Kid vacation (not interested (no offense, this is first adult only vacation with out family), looking for a couple vacation. Will be taking train to Denver to meet up with family .. what do you suggest? where should we stay and what should we not miss out on. appreciate ideas, this is overwhelming. Also big on photography! I should mention looking around last week in August.

Edited: 10:22 am, June 29, 2013
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 205
1. Re: I have never been to Salt Lake Area . Looking for a getaway

How are you getting from Denver to Utah? Train is actually a nice, scenic way to go. If you are taking train, you can get off in either Provo or Salt Lake and rent a car. Only issue is the train arrival is late so not sure on where to get rental car.

Park City would be a good place to stay. Choose lodging along historic Main Street to walk to shops and restaurants, or look at something on the mountain at Deer Valley for more solitude. You will find everything you're seeking from hiking to biking to photography, good food, etc.

While here look at a drive up the Mirror Lake Highway to the High Uintahs (daytrip) and through the alpine loop - Heber, Midway, Sundance, Provo Canyon, etc.

Give a bit more detail on your plan and can fill in more holes.

Have fun.

Edited: 10:39 am, June 29, 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 105
2. Re: I have never been to Salt Lake Area . Looking for a getaway

Welcome to the TA forums J G.

<<peaceful, good food (health), coffee, Mornings, walking, shopping, scenery>>

Sounds like Park City to me.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 18
3. Re: I have never been to Salt Lake Area . Looking for a getaway

In late August you be in between the peek wildflower season and fall foliage colors. The ideas mentioned are well worth looking into. Another good drive from Park City, is over Guardsman Pass into Big Cottonwood Canyon. Here, you can do a stroll on the boardwalk at Silver Lake or a 3-mile hike up to Lake Blanche and the iconic Sundial Peak or checking out all the Brighton Lakes. Also, the next canyon over is Little Cottonwood and you could ride the tram at Snowbird to 11,000 feet for great mountain top views without having to hike.

For shopping in Salt Lake, check out City Creek and Gateway. Main Street Park City has plenty of shops, galleries, restaurants, bars, etc.

I'm more familiar with restaurants in SLC than PC and really like Eva, Takashi, Mahider, Meditrina, and the Copper Onion. For breakfasts: Park Cafe, Eva's Bakery, Finca (weekend brunch), Finn's, Cafe Niche. Bars: Bayou (best beer selection anywhere), Beer Hive and Gracies (great patio area). Check out High West in Park City for food and drink.

Deer Valley will have nice spas, areas to mountain bike, great food, excellent service. You may also want to check event calendars at visit park city.com and visit salt lake.com for the specific weeks you will be in town and see if anything interests you in terms of concerts, art shows, etc.

Charlotte, North...
reviews: 21
4. Re: I have never been to Salt Lake Area . Looking for a getaway

Park City would be an excellent place for you! There are lovely hotels in Park City or at Deer Valley & the Canyons. Totally depends on your preferences. Deer Valley & The Canyons are both very close to Park City Main Street. There is quite a variety of shopping and dining in Park City. You can rent bikes or go hiking. The scenery is wonderful! The locals will be happy to recommend a hike or bike trip once you are there. Seems like everyone in town has an outdoor pursuit they enjoy & will be hsppy to share. There are many healthy restaraunt choices in Park City. My " teens" even comment on the freshness of the fare.

5. Re: I have never been to Salt Lake Area . Looking for a getaway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 05, 2014