We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

skiing in December?

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
3 posts
skiing in December?

what's the weather like. I'm coming from nc and Ive skiied park city. Brighton and snowbird during spring break and it was awesome. I'm just wondering if the conditions will be just as good in December. wouldn't want to waste all that money if it's not good. been to Colorado in December and I could have went to WV and it would have been the same. I'm trying to book a trip now because of cost issues so any help is much appreciated

thanks!

3 posts
1. Re: skiing in December?

also. what are the prices of lift tickets in December.

Murray, Utah
Level Contributor
390 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: skiing in December?

The higher elevation resorts should have great snow by then (Brighton, Snowbird, Alta, Solitude) but Park City, because it's lower elevation, is a crap shoot. They will be making snow if Mother Nature doesn't bring any. The later in the month, the greater the chance of snow.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: skiing in December?

As a general rule, later in the season will have more snow because it has accumulated throughout the winter. Having said that, a couple of years ago, the resorts had a 70 inches of snowfall in October. It all depends and every year is different. Later in December is usually better than early December. But you could have a huge storm the last week of November with epic conditions and then it won't snow again for three weeks and a lot of it melts off. The point is, it's difficult to predict.

Park City has a much better overall night life and dining experience, but also a lower elevation than Snowbird and Brighton, so take that into consideration. They do a good job of making snow and the resorts are open by Thanksgiving most years. Still, plenty of early season conditions will likely exist and some terrain might not be open.

I would go ahead and book it and keep your eye on the weather a couple of weeks before you decide to come out. If there is snow at Brighton but not as much at PCMR, it might be worth the hour drive. Or maybe PC will be great and you'll find a lot of terrain open and ready to shred. Can't really know until the week of.

Usually lift tickets are the same throughout the year. I know some areas spike their pries on holidays, etc, but I haven't heard of them doing that in Utah. There are several outlets to get discount lift tickets. From rental and gear shops to grocery stores. Or try KSL.com classified section. I bought a couple of 20 lift tickets last year from someone that couldn't use the passes. Might not be as many around earlier in the season, but it's worth a look.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
27 reviews
4. Re: skiing in December?

Supposed to say 20-dollar lift tickets.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
12,693 posts
268 reviews
5. Re: skiing in December?

You won't find comparable conditions at any resort in December. If it's pre-Christmas, you will find substantially cheaper prices but less terrain open. No one usually has full operation until later in December. Everyone relies on snowmaking. While Park City resorts are lower than Cottonwood Canyons, but it's also easier to get more terrain covered with manmade snow. if your paradigm is the great experience you had on spring break, it's not likely you'll find that anywhere in December so you might want to stick with spring. Deer Valley is one of the better early season choices.

Have fun.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
25 posts
22 reviews
6. Re: skiing in December?

We were there at Spring Break also. The unpredicted dumps of snow were a blast! I've not been in December, but I watch the resorts "open" online & I'm always amazed at how low a percentage of slopes are open in December. Of course there are years when it dumps in December. Honestly we have been afraid to try December. We've hit every other skiable month. We have 2 skiers in our group that wouldn't be happy if the double blacks weren't open. You might find some good deals prior to Christmas, then you could go again at Spring Break!!

7. Re: skiing in December?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, June 30, 2014