We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing in Utah

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 11
Skiing in Utah

Hi, I am planning a ski trip with my family to Utah up coming winter. My first choice is to stay around the Deer Valley area but would like to try out other resorts, such as Park City and Canyon. Are the shuttle bus system around the Park City areas take guests from and back to the hotel/resorts to the ski areas mentioned above? or do you need to drive to these areas yourself? I have not made up my mind yet whether or not to rent a car. We are flying into Salt Lake City and will likely use a shuttle to take our family to our resort and back. Anyone has any experience with these shuttle service? Are they reliable? I am concern about driving a rental car in snowy unpredictable weather conditions in the winter. About the skiing. I would like to ski at Deer Valley for sure due to its reputation. I am an advance skier and my wife is an intermediate skier but I have two children ages 10 and 8 who will be in ski schools. How are the ski schools at DV, Park City and the Canyon? any experiences? btw, we have no snow boarders in the family. This will be our first time skiing in Utah and would appreciate any recommendations, useful information, etc...Again, we hope to be staying somewhere near DV but also is considering around the Park City resort areas as well if the distance is not too great and getting to and from both resorts are not too cumbersome especially with two kids. I have skied at Vail and Beaver Creek in the last few years but would like to try Utah this winter. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance for your responses and recommendations. See everyone on the slope.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 18
1. Re: Skiing in Utah

Park City, as a whole, is a well oiled machine that caters to higher end travelers and families alike. You should have no problems with reliable shuttle service and it's less than an hours drive from SLC International to the Montage or St Regis at Deer Valley. There are plenty of dining and lodging options.

Park City has a free bus service that provides access to all three resorts and historic Main Street. I have never used it for skiing, but heard it is quite efficient. The Canyons is a little less than 7-miles from Deer Valley. Park City Mountain Resort is in between, is the most centrally located, and is also the closest resort to Main St. In fact, there is a chair lift that goes from Main Street to Park City Resort. You may want to check on the specific bus route and see that your accommodations are within a reasonable walking distance to a bus stop. Your accommodations may offer a shuttle services as well or there are taxi services.

visitparkcity.com/visitors/…

All resorts are quite large and have varied terrain from gladed aspens fields, to open bowls, to perfectly groomed intermediate and beginning runs. The ski schools have very excellent reputations, especially Park City and Deer Valley. I would definitely make it a point to visit each of the three resorts. Although, they are all close in proximity to one another, they offer something different and unique. I would spend two days at each to explore and get a feel for what they have, and then finish your remaining trip at whichever one you like the best. Note that the Park City resorts have a lower elevation base than the Salt Lake ski resorts like Alta and Snowbird, so they typically won't have as much snow coverage in the early season.

Have fun and we'll be hoping for lots of snow.

Edited: 2:49 pm, June 22, 2013
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 205
2. Re: Skiing in Utah

Definitely don't need a car. The shuttle companies are reliable. All Resort is a good choice. Free bus system will get you anywhere in town. Ski schools at all three resorts are comparable. If you stay at DV it's still easy to get to PCMR or Canyons. You can also stay downtown Park City and be just a few minutes to PCMR and DV, 15-20 to Canyons. All very convenient. Much more diverse experience than what you enjoyed in Beaver Creek.

Have fun.

Utah
reviews: 7
3. Re: Skiing in Utah

Well, Canyons is larger. You probably wouldn't really notice the difference while riding there unless you were familiar with the two resorts (Canyons vs PCMR). Canyons has more to offer the expert rider than either PCMR or Deer Valley. You could ski at Canyons for days and not experience it all. Also, you'll enjoy the Bubble lift if the weather is bad. You get the intimacy of the chair lift, but the protected warm experience of the gondola/tram. The owner has put a TON ($50MM-ish) of money into giving The Canyons a giant upgrade. Canyons also has a larger selection of restaurants and bars than the other two, but none of them are going to be like Vail or Beaver Creek in that regard. Utah, relatively, doesn't have many bars if that's what you like in the evenings.

Deer Valley is a very small resort compared to the others. Picture Beaver Creek with slightly shorter/easier and 30% fewer runs. Really, Deer Valley targets the same market as Beaver Creek. The crowd who considers skiing just a "part" of the experience. They want to be pampered while enjoying a ski trip. There is a bit of diversity, but if given a full couple days, you'll find yourself returning repeatedly to the same runs. The "no snowboards" thing has always maintained a more exclusive feel for them.

If you have a week at least, you should really ski at each for at least two days. Snow quality will be very similar, although DV keeps their runs groomed nicer, given the audience. Late Jan is gonna be when the snow really starts getting good, with the best powder in mid-late Feb.

Atlanta, Georgia
4. Re: Skiing in Utah

Thanks for you input. I will stay around the Park City Mountain Resort because its more centrally located and I am certain to try skiing at all three resorts. Thanks again.

Atlanta, Georgia
5. Re: Skiing in Utah

Thank you everyone for your inputs. I will take into account all your recommendations while planning for my trip. I hope to be able to ski at all three resorts, Deer Valley, Canyons, and PCMR, while I am there. Lets hope we have a fantastic snow year coming up. See everyone on the slope.

6. Re: Skiing in Utah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 26, 2014