We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sundance 2014 Information

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ohio
reviews: 1
Sundance 2014 Information

I'm working on planning a trip for my friends 40th birthday to the festivl in 2014 from Jan 23-27. We will have anywhere between 4-6 individuals. I've already research place in Park City Old town to stay and hope to have someting booked by end of Feb. My question is around the festival activities. The Sundance website has several different packages and wanted to get an understanding for the venue access. Do you need venue access to experience Sundance? This really increases the cost and we'd like to catch a few films and experience the night life without breaking the bank. For tickets will it be best to just try and do day of tickets or advance tickets. If advance, will one person be able to buy a group of tickets to the same film? Thanks for any guidence, as I'm trying to estimate for the group total cost.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 205
1. Re: Sundance 2014 Information

My personal feeling as a local who has lived and attended Sundance for years is that the packages are not worth it. Yes, they may gain you access to certain party venues and may give you some priority access, but you can still enjoy Sundance without it. We never do them.

I would encourage you to get some anchor tickets then supplement it with day to day waitlists. I think I went to about eight films this year and every single one of them brought in the entire waitlist. So it works.

If you can, do try to get Old Town as the action is all on Main Street (outside the theaters). And the free bus system will get you everywhere else. You want to be able to walk to Main Street if possible. Also, do note that first weekend is far more active and fun than last weekend.

Hope that helps. Enjoy - it's a great festival and a fun time to be in PC.

Baltimore, Maryland
2. Re: Sundance 2014 Information

i have experienced Sundance twice now (40th bday fun, too!) and here is what i've concluded. FIrst of all, yes, you can see films without a pass or package, however, you will need to arrive at the venue at least 2 hours in advance to wait in line, and if it is a very popular film or the first showing, the odds of you getting in are slim to none. And really, the more people you have with you, the harder to get into any film (as a wait lister). You would have to be the first group of people in line which may mean getting there before the 2 hr. window. So, it's not impossible at all, but you really will spend much of your time in line if you don't have tix. You can always go to the ticket office every morning and see which films have tix available. That may be your best bet actually. i would guess the local man who replied went either by himself or with 1 other person? i, personally, think Sundance is hard to do as a group if it's the film experience you are after, unfortunately. That much i figured out just planning for 2 people the first time around. Your best bet to get tix for 4-6 would be to have everyone register online- before the festival- for a time slot to purchase ticket packages (to increase your chances), and i think if you buy a package of 20 tix (or how ever many tix), i believe you can purchase 4 tix max for the same film. or try to have 2 people get 3 tix each if there are 6 of you. But this requires a lot of prep work to figure out which films you want to see and on what day and at what time. (and then have back up choices if those aren't available). it is a full time job figuring that out...though, if you aren't picky, i would guess it's slightly easier. And the man above is right that the first half of the festival is much busier than the second half. It will be much easier to get tix and dine during the second half of the festival. Happy to answer any more questions. I plan on returning next year, myself!! The festival is a ton of fun and PC is beautiful and filled with fun things to do! Good luck!!

Dublin, Ohio
3. Re: Sundance 2014 Information

Thanks everyone for your help. Being from Ohio, I just heard a rumor that Utah is dry? Is this true and how does that work? I can't imagine this is true.

Newport Beach, CA
reviews: 47
4. Re: Sundance 2014 Information

Utah is not dry. Almost everywhere on Main Street serves alcohol, beer, and wine. The drinks are often smaller, as the bars are regulated on the amount of alcohol that they can pour into individual drinks, but you can just order more drinks! Liquor, wine, and full-strength beer are sold at state liquor stores (there are at least 2 in PC) everyday except Sundays and national holidays. The grocery stores carry 3.2 beer, which is less strong.

Regarding the festival, I think everyone in your group should register in late Sept/Oct (whenever it is) for a time slot to buy a ticket package. Whoever has the earliest time slots can buy packages. If there are 4 of you, one package will get you all to 5 movies together. If there are more of you, you can buy a couple of packages or just split up. I've been to the festival 6 times. I've almost always had good luck with wait list during the second half, but I've seen everyone shut out on the wait list during the first weekend. If you're planning on the first weekend, I would work to get tickets. Also, I recommend seeing almost anything and not getting too picky about the films. Even a mediocre film is fun to see when you get to hear the director, writer, principal cast, etc in the Q & A afterwards.

One last tip: get your dinner reservations early. Restaurants will vary on how early they will accept them, but you will need them!

Have a great time!

Park City, Utah
5. Re: Sundance 2014 Information

3.2 beer is not any different in Utah. The can of Coors Light or Budweiser or Guinness you buy here is the same as the can you buy in Ohio. Utah measures their alcohol by weight (ABW) instead of by volume (ABV), like the most places.

A 3.2 ABW beer is equal to approximately 4.0 ABV. It's pretty much the same beer, same content and same alcohol - just measured differently. The laws are unique in Utah only in where you purchase the beer (Supermarket vs. Liquor Store). Stronger beers are available only in the liquor stores, which actually have an alright selection with reasonable prices (especially for wine!).

Edited: 11:04 am, February 26, 2013
6. Re: Sundance 2014 Information

Hello,

What do you mean by Old Town? Is that literally a town or the name of a hotel?

Thanks for your help!

Newport Beach, CA
reviews: 47
7. Re: Sundance 2014 Information

Old Town is the historic area of Park City. The commercial area is about 4 blocks on Main Street. A sign actually calls it "Historic Main Street." There are several hotels in the area (Sky Lodge, Marriot Summit Watch, Treasure Mountain Inn, Washington School House Hotel) as well as several condos (Park Station, Silver Queen, Caledonian) and many rental homes on VRBO, etc. Besides the restaurants, shops, and charm of Old Town, it also boasts the Transit Center, through which all Park City buses pass, so it's very convenient to get to other areas of Park City from Old Town.

GA
reviews: 4
8. Re: Sundance 2014 Information

Swimtams ... my hubby and I along with my sister and her friend are planning to attend Sundance during these exact dates! :) We are booked at the Sunrise Lodge. We're planning to buy one of the ticket packages so hopefully we'll get lucky with the selection date and the package we want is not sold out. Good Luck and have fun! We may run into one another! :)

Tisha

9. Re: Sundance 2014 Information

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 pm, May 19, 2013
10. Re: Sundance 2014 Information

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:28 pm, June 07, 2013