We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to ski for first time in Utah?

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento...
Where to ski for first time in Utah?

My husband and I want to ski Utah this year in February (before or after Presidents Day weekend, but not on that holiday). Have never been skiing outside California. Favorites here are Sugar Bowl, Alpine Meadows and Sierra At Tahoe. Can anyone recommend places in Utah which are comparable?

salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
reviews: 62
1. Re: Where to ski for first time in Utah?

Nothing in California really compares in my mind. You will be very pleasantly surprised at the difference in our snow, the size of the resorts, the variety of terrain. You will do fine at any of our mountains. I would say start at Alta and go to Park City, Deer Valley, and the Canyons. Snowbird has lots of steep (which is wonderful but not if you are not used to that). Depending on snow depths and conditions that particular week-you will have a great time wherever you venture off to. Do move around. Each resort has a different flavor and they are all within a half hour of each other and downtown SL.

Park City, UT
reviews: 28
2. Re: Where to ski for first time in Utah?

Roughly, Brighton here is more like Sugar Bowl, Park City Mountain is sort-of Alpine Meadows, and Solitude is like Sierra at Tahoe. Alta is often compared to Kirkwood, and Snowbird to Squaw. Of course, these comparisons are not exact, but the feeling of these areas is close to the Tahoe "equivalents."

Where do you like to stay? If you want variety, staying in Salt Lake City will be similar but much closer than day trips to Tahoe from Sac. If you want skiing only, then Alta-Snowbird or Solitude would keep you at the base but little nightlife. Park City is best for ski-town ambience with many restaurants and bars, and three major ski areas within 5 miles.

Sacramento...
3. Re: Where to ski for first time in Utah?

Thanks Al at PC, that comparison helps a lot! We made reservations for Red Pine condos in PC and plan on skiing at least one day at PCR and the other two at Snowbird/Alta with the pass that gets you into both places. Can't wait to go...have heard from people here that it's fantastic!

Park City, UT
4. Re: Where to ski for first time in Utah?

You said "Red Pine condos in PC and plan on skiing at least one day at PCR and the other two at Snowbird/Alta."

The Red Pine condos are at the bottom of the Canyons Resort (if I'm thinking of the right place) so that might be a good day or two for you. It's the biggest (by a little bit) resort here and can be pretty interesting exploring. Park City Mountain is five minutes away and I find it the most varied. Deer Valley is another five minutes and has the best groomed runs and far and away the best food.

Why not one day at Snowbird and one day at Alta instead of two days trying to ski both? You can easily spend a whole day or more at either place and still not be done.

Park City, UT
5. Re: Where to ski for first time in Utah?

You should also consider the Ski Utah Interconnect Tour at www.skiutah.com.