We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Slopes? Canyons, Park City or Deer Valley?

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winston-Salem, NC
reviews: 1
Best Slopes? Canyons, Park City or Deer Valley?

Which place did you like the best? Why? We are going to be going in March. We need to find out where the good restaurants are too! Thanks for the help

Dave

Salt Lake City, Utah
reviews: 6
1. Re: Best Slopes? Canyons, Park City or Deer Valley?

The Canyons is my least favorite of the three - they, by far, receive the least amount of snow.

Park City is an excellent resort, but I prefer Deer Valley. The service is amazing, the slopes are great, the snow is fantastic. If you have anyone in your group that snowboards, head to Park City. Deer Valley and Alta are the only two resorts in Utah that do not allow snowboarders.

There are a few places in Park City, as a local, that I love to eat. The Seafood Buffet at Deer Valley is to die for. Make reservations as early as November. The Blind Dog is my favorite place to have sushi - but don't be fooled. It isn't a "Japanese" restaurant. www.blinddoggrill.com

Main Line...
reviews: 12
2. Re: Best Slopes? Canyons, Park City or Deer Valley?

We spend lots of time in Utah and our second home is at the base of Deer Valley. The skiing is great at all three of the local resorts, but they are all different. Deer Valley (no snowboarding allowed) is great if you like to cruise long smooth trails. They are fanatical about grooming there. Park City has good variety and snowboarding is allowed. The Canyons does get the least amount of snow of the three, but you're from the east coast (as I am), so it's all relative! They'll ALL have lots more snow than we ever see here. The Canyons is spread over 8 different mountains. Some people don't like the fact that it takes some time to get around because it's so big. On the other hand, we've been there mid-week and had long runs to ourselves.

The great thing about Park City is that all three of these resorts are within 15 minutes of each other and all accessible via the free local buses. So you don't have to decide in advance which one(s) you'll ski. Wait to see what the conditions are. Despite their proximity to each other, one can get fresh snow on a day when the others don't. And of course you'll want to go where the snow is!

You should also think about taking a day trip to the Cottonwood Canyons, just south of Park City to ski either Snowbird/Alta, or Brighton/Solitude, just for a change of scenery.

Finally, there are so many great restaurants in the Park City area! You can pick up local dining guides that contain the menus for many of them when you get to town. For the most part, you won't need reservations before you arrive. However, one that I recommend is the Fireside Dining at Deer Valley's Empire Lodge. It's a three-course prix fixe dinner, based on foods prepared fireside. Very romantic, but great fun for kids too. Raclette, stews, salads, and fondue. They only offer on Wednesday and Thursday evenings, and you really need to call well in advance of your trip to secure a reservation. Info is on Deer Valley's website. www.deervalley.com

Have a great trip! We'll be there in March too. Maybe we'll see you on the slopes!

Main Line...
reviews: 12
3. Re: Best Slopes? Canyons, Park City or Deer Valley?

We spend lots of time in Utah and our second home is at the base of Deer Valley. The skiing is great at all three of the local resorts, but they are all different. Deer Valley (no snowboarding allowed) is great if you like to cruise long smooth trails. They are fanatical about grooming there. Park City has good variety and snowboarding is allowed. The Canyons does get the least amount of snow of the three, but you're from the east coast (as I am), so it's all relative! They'll ALL have lots more snow than we ever see here. The Canyons is spread over 8 different mountains. Some people don't like the fact that it takes some time to get around because it's so big. On the other hand, we've been there mid-week and had long runs to ourselves.

The great thing about Park City is that all three of these resorts are within 15 minutes of each other and all accessible via the free local buses. So you don't have to decide in advance which one(s) you'll ski. Wait to see what the conditions are. Despite their proximity to each other, one can get fresh snow on a day when the others don't. And of course you'll want to go where the snow is!

You should also think about taking a day trip to the Cottonwood Canyons, just south of Park City to ski either Snowbird/Alta, or Brighton/Solitude, just for a change of scenery.

Finally, there are so many great restaurants in the Park City area! You can pick up local dining guides that contain the menus for many of them when you get to town. For the most part, you won't need reservations before you arrive. However, one that I recommend is the Fireside Dining at Deer Valley's Empire Lodge. It's a three-course prix fixe dinner, based on foods prepared fireside. Very romantic, but great fun for kids too. Raclette, stews, salads, and fondue. They only offer on Wednesday and Thursday evenings, and you really need to call well in advance of your trip to secure a reservation. Info is on Deer Valley's website. www.deervalley.com

Have a great trip! We'll be there in March too. Maybe we'll see you on the slopes!

Salt Lake City
4. Re: Best Slopes? Canyons, Park City or Deer Valley?

Park City offers the best skiing and the most variety. Deer Valley is OK, but the most expensive and the least variety (all groomed rooms geared for intermediate skiers). The Canyons has a large resort with a lot of variety, but often suffers from limited snow. Park City offers everything from back country skiing (Jupiter Bowl), bumps (Thaynes) to nice groomed runs.

If I had the choice, I would elect to go over to Snowbird and Alta (45 minutes from Park City)... better snow, more veritical, etc. However, you don't have much activity after hours near those resorts.

As for restaurants, Park City has plenty of good ones. My favorites include:

- Baja Cantina (Mexican located at the base of the resort)

- Chimayo (upscale Southwest located on Main Street)

- Mountain Air Cafe (good diner / breakfast food)

- Zoom (upscale American located on Main Street

Enjoy your trip.

ohio
reviews: 15
5. Re: Best Slopes? Canyons, Park City or Deer Valley?

Deer Valley, much more well groomed, a little more "buttoned up". Park City, fun skiing, more casual and upbeat atmosphere. We're going to ski the Canyons this year to get a feel for it too. it's all good. We were there in march last year, and they had more powder than any of us had ever seen. Great variety.

Restaurants - Chimayo IS great. We also LOVE 350 Main (or is it 530? Always reliably good. Upscale. My uncle, a Salt Lake native, raves about a "stew" restaurant. We're going to try it this year....

We took our kids up to the top of the mountain on a horse drawn carriage thing and it was fun. Hokey, but fun. The food is very "down home", country music was being played. One of those things the kids (if you have them) will always remember. Have a blast!!

salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
reviews: 65
6. Re: Best Slopes? Canyons, Park City or Deer Valley?

The best way to answer the question is with questions...how often do you ski?, how good are you?, what kind of skiing terrain do you like?. We have it all here. March is consistently a good snow month to ski here. Good choice!

Winston-Salem, NC
7. Re: Best Slopes? Canyons, Park City or Deer Valley?

I will ski anything out here on the East Coast. However, I hear a black out here is like a blue out west. I would consider myself an advanced skiier. Thanks for the info.

Winston-Salem, NC
8. Re: Best Slopes? Canyons, Park City or Deer Valley?

Oh...I don't really have much experience with moguls. Long fast runs would be great! Thanks

Dave

Salt Lake City
9. Re: Best Slopes? Canyons, Park City or Deer Valley?

Definitely Deer Valley. Beyond the wonderful slopes, great snow, and impeccable service, it has something very unusual: the only ski resort food I've ever had that was worth I paid for it.