We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging with First-Time Toddler

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City
Lodging with First-Time Toddler

We are big fans of skiing Utah and go approx 2 times/year - couples only trips. We usually stay at the Embassy Suites in Salt Lake as we love skiing Alta but love the town and ammenities of Park City. (also love downtown Salt Lake and lots there to do). We've also stayed at the Residence Inn at the edge of Salt Lake before reaching the Cottonwood Canyon slopes (Alta, etc.)

My question is this: we're taking our three year-old and teaching him to ski for the first time. Do we stay in Park City? We'd like to go Dec 26-Jan 1 but I'm finding the prices on condos in P.C. to be outrageous at that time. ($400 night + at some of the nicest places) We love the town of P.C. and would love to take our son to the nearby sledding park along I-80 too. Should we stay in P.C. or Salt Lake? If we stay in P.C., what would be your suggestion on places to stay this time of year? We will have a car so we don't necessarily need ski in/ski out which I think would cut down on cost.

Thanks!

Jill

salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
reviews: 70
1. Re: Lodging with First-Time Toddler

I would stay in Salt Lake. You know Snowbird has free skiing bunny hill which is great for beginners and toddlers. That's where I taught son to ski. They also have a great kids club where you can dump him safefly and then go ski when he is tired. You'll be lucky to get a few hours attention span and your back will be hurting. This side of the mountain always has more snow that time of year than PC also. Snowbird also has a great sleding hill but the other one is easy to access from town.

Salt Lake City, Utah
reviews: 15
2. Re: Lodging with First-Time Toddler

I know this post is a little late, but I'd like to weigh in if ou haven't made reservations yet. Definitely stay in SLC during that week. Not only is Park City expensive that time of year, but also it is very difficult to get into restaurants, etc. I would recommend staying at the Embassy Suites, again. The breakfast and social hour make a hotel stay more enjoyable. Snowbird and Alta are the two best resorts to take kids to learn to ski. Snowbird has a great "bunny hill" for kids. Alta is nice because is purely a ski resort-no snowboarders. Both have excellent ski schools, also.

NJ
reviews: 1
3. Re: Lodging with First-Time Toddler

If you are staying in SLC, I would also consider skiing with your son at Solitude - free lift tickets for kids under 6. and they have a pretty easy bunny slope that my now 4 year old learned to ski on.

It's a very nice family resort and I would recommend staying there but I think you want some 'action' and while they have lots of family activities that week, the restaurants etc. are limited.

Long Island, NY
reviews: 5
4. Re: Lodging with First-Time Toddler

I would suggest you look into Deer Valley. They have a well respected ski school and a day care center if you wish to take advantage of that. Lift operators are also more apt to slow down the lifts there for small children. Stein Erikesen Lodge and the Chateaux at Silver Lake are nearby and have year round swimming pools which will give you something else to do. The restaurant at the Chateaux is elegant, but they really catered to my kids (3 and 5). The add your own toppings ot the ice cream and the kids menu were a hit.

I've heard ggod things about skiing with children at The Canyon's, but have no first hand knowledge.

Enjoy!