We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to ski for first time w/ kids?

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Where to ski for first time w/ kids?

We're going to SLC for Thanksgiving to visit family and thought we'd head up to a ski resort for two nights to try some skiing. I have been skiing before, but my husband and two daughters are new to it. We'll also be bringing up great-grandma (who doesn't ski). I'm looking for someplace:

1. Good for new skiers -- with lessons

2. Has something to do for those that don't ski.

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance!

Salt Lake City, Utah
reviews: 6
1. Re: Where to ski for first time w/ kids?

I learned to ski at Alta and loved it. There's a rope tow at the base with a pitty exuse for a hill that is free. Great for a first time on skis. They also have a lower bowl pass that is all green (maybe one blue) that is about $30 for a day.

As far as who has the best lessons, my vote goes to Deer Valley. The terrain has a wide variety and the instructors that I know there are top notch. Deer Valley is one of the more expensive resorts, but worth every penny.

Alta and Deer Valley are the only two resorts that do not allow snowboarders. If anyone is interested in snowboarding, go to Brighton. Just don't ask what the funny smell is coming from the woods :)

As for great-grandma, is she looking for an outdoor activity or an indoor activity? My favorite indoor activity is a book, a blanket and an endless supply of hot chocolate at the main lodge of Deer Valley. They have lush-never-get-up-again chairs and a crackling fire. She won't be lonely either - plenty of families abandon the non-skiier there for a day!

salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
reviews: 65
2. Re: Where to ski for first time w/ kids?

you will be lucky if there is any snow. Early season is not the best time of year for learning in my opinion. IF there is a huge storm though stay on the Salt Lake side because you won't be dodging as many rocks. Go to Alta for lessons. Alta lets beginners ski free after 3 also. Wide open, easy terrain. Stay at Snowbird Cliff lodge and ski mostly at Alta. There is a pass you can buy to ski both but I wouldn't pay extra unless you find it's more convenient for you to go back and forth. It's right next door. Buses run every 10 minutes. Leave Grams at the lodge and she can enjoy the spa, a bit of shopping, restuarants, lounges, scenery etc. You can meet up with her at lunch easily and then go back and ski some more.