We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning Summer vacation

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
chicago il
Planning Summer vacation

I will be in Utah with my 3 boys ages 8-15 first part of July. We have boys Junior Olympics in Sandy Utah. Any recommendations as to where to go after that to spend a family vacation. Which town is best to go to for outdoor activities Salt Lake City or Park City. I would love to take them white water rafting, hiking etc. Thanks

West Jordan, Utah
reviews: 17
1. Re: Planning Summer vacation

There is white water rafting up on the Ogden river, north of Salt Lake. I'm not very familiar with it. If I am going to be in freezing cold water, I would prefer that it be in powder form on a mountain.

But Park City and Salt Lake City have great hiking, mountain biking, horseback riding, ATV riding and lots of other activities nearby.

Park City and Snowbird have summer programs with ziplines, mountain biking, etc.

Unless you are getting some kind of great deal, I would stay up in Park City after their Junior Olympics program is over. It will be a few degrees cooler than Sandy. Or you could stay up at Snowbird. Park City will have a bigger variety of lodging, activities and places to eat.

Are you going to be here over July 4? The Real Salt Lake soccer team is crappy, but they usually have a good fireworks show.

chicago il
2. Re: Planning Summer vacation

I'm not sure of the dates yet but I will keep it in mind. Thank you. Do you have any suggestions as far as good places for lodging?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 126
3. Re: Planning Summer vacation

I still can't believe any white water rafting in the Ogden river would be worth attempting commercially. I would just have to see it to believe it would ever compare to the Colorado or Snake.

There are LOTS of good hikes in the area. Both Little and Big Cottonwood canyons, and the area around Sundance. Or be like a Salt Laker and head to the Uintas (they are mountains east of Park City) for hikes, fishing, atv's.

Since you'll already be in Sandy (get a hotel in Sandy or Ft Union for that part of your trip). Stay a day or so there and hike the Cottonwood Canyons. Then maybe move to Park City area and take advantage of the fun summer activities at the resort (zip lines, the BEST alpine slide, alpine roller coaster, mountain biking) and be closer to the Uintas.

Or just head on down to Moab, just 4 hours away from SLC and get the best in outdoor adventure.

Kalamazoo, Michigan
reviews: 22
4. Re: Planning Summer vacation

There are lots of great condos in Park City and this is their slow season for some excellent values. Check out vrbo.com. We got a beautiful 2BR condo there for our June trip for $95 a night right in town! Email me privately if you want that unit numbers information.

Also, if your trip is over a Sunday, Sundance Resort has a brunch buffet that's fabulous- plus its a great place to spend a day in beautiful Provo canyon- the scenery is just gorgeous!

Orem, Utah
reviews: 10
5. Re: Planning Summer vacation

Or stay in Midway after you're done in Sandy. Its about halfway between PC and Sundance so you can have faster access to both of those. It will also be cheaper for higher quality and will also be less crowded than Park City.

Newport Beach, CA
reviews: 47
6. Re: Planning Summer vacation

A really fun activity is the biathlon at Soldier Hollow (between Provo and Park City). In the summer, you mountain bike and target shoot on the range that was used for the 2002 Winter Olympics. It's a great activity for a family! We've also enjoyed horseback riding. My son likes fly fishing (we've used Jans in Park City for a guide). Mountain biking, especially lift served, is also fun for boys and an adventurous mom. Park City is beautiful in the summer, and it has cooler weather, too.

Orem, Utah
reviews: 10
7. Re: Planning Summer vacation

There are also a few good golf courses in Midway if that interests you. The Provo River is also near by, not exactly whitewater by any means but enough that it would cool you off on a hot summer day.

Park City, Utah
reviews: 62
8. Re: Planning Summer vacation

Stay in Park City and you wont regret it. I own a home in Sandy and Park City. I used to live in CA and played in Utah quite a few times before moving here. Park City is an all seasons resort community and you will not go wrong staying there.

I dont get to excited about activities in Salt Lake City. Stay in Park City, venture around---take Guardmans pass drive that from Park City right to Big Cottonwood Canyon---Solitude/Brighton.

Dont stay in Sandy your entire time. Nice place, take your family 45 minutes up the road to Park City and call it home base.

Check out www.parkcityinfo.com Lots of great info.

Salt Lake City
reviews: 6
9. Re: Planning Summer vacation

There is no comparison. Park City is actually less than 45 min. from Sandy and is summer paradise. If you have to stay in Sandy for quick access to the Junior Olympics, leave ASAP and stay in Park City the rest of the time. You wouldn't have enough time with 24/7 in Park City to do all the great things that are available for boys that age who are athletes. With the exception of white water rafting, if you can imagine outdoor fun, it's in or near Park City.

10. Re: Planning Summer vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:23 am, September 18, 2009