We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

considering moving my family and business to Ogden or area..

Which Ogden hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tucson, AZ
reviews: 2
considering moving my family and business to Ogden or area..

Hello all,

I'm seriously considering moving my family and family business to Ogden Utah or the surrounding area. It appears that the community is quite safe, absolutely clean and beautiful, AND affordable. At the moment, we reside in Tucson and the housing market is just as bad as New England...we just need a place to raise a happy family and live comfortably without worrying about making our next outrageous mortgage payment and barely getting by.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
reviews: 70
1. Re: considering moving my family and business to Ogden or area..

I have a lot of friends in Tucson and I can tell you that the housing market there is nothing like New England! Tucson for the most part is much more affordable then many areas in Ogden, too. I think you need to go online to check this out and get a realtor to get you websites you can browse through the housing market here. There are areas that are more affordable than others here-but that is the same in Tucson, too. Chances are that if you are in an area in Tucson that is breaking the bank-then the areas you ike here to live in won't be any cheaper than where you are at ...in fact, probably worse, and older homes too. Have you looked at Sahaurita-south of Tucson? That's very affordable and nice. Areas here similar to that price range would not be found in Ogden's nicer areas.

Salt Lake City, Utah
reviews: 54
2. Re: considering moving my family and business to Ogden or area..

Ogden is a lovely place; a small community where within a year or so you would see friends every time you went out for a meal. Ogden Nature Center is an oasis with great programs for kids and adults, and the proximity to the excellent skiing at Snowbasin should not be discounted. Shop carefully for homes, many neighborhoods are expensive. Also, quality of education should be considered - some of the schools are below standard. We lived in Ogden for three years and enjoyed it - 25th Street has a great farmer's market in the summertime and there is often free entertainment sponsored by the city.

Ogden, Utah
3. Re: considering moving my family and business to Ogden or area..

Ogden really is a great place that is different from anywhere else in Utah. It has had many struggles over the last decade or two, but it is back on the way up in a positive way. As for education, some of the Ogden City School District schools are getting run down, but the voters recently passed a rather large bond that will refurbish one of the greatest looking high schools in the nation (Ogden High) and rebuild the other, as well as build and refurbish many more schools. The County schools have good reputations. As for housing, Ogden is still cheap compared to the rest of Utah. There are some inner city problems, but they are light compared to other cities. The east bench has great neighborhoods at great prices. The suburbs also have great homes at reasonable prices. In the area you can move into a downtown environment, a classic, well-maintained home on the east bench, a typical neighborhood in the suburbs, or further out (but still close) you can find homes on multiple acre lots. Again, Ogden is a great place with a lot of culture and it is on its way up again.

Ogden, Utah
reviews: 2
4. Re: considering moving my family and business to Ogden or area..

As an almost life long resident and a real estate broker for many years, I feel qualified to answer your request for comments.

Ogden is experiencing a vitality that it hasn't had for years. New projects are under construction and more on in the works; more businesses are moving in bringing jobs and opportunities; the spotlight has been on our schools and promises of better education are on the horizon; although housing prices have risen they're still behind most of the nation.

The biggest complaint that I've heard is the lack of quality venues, restaurants and cultural activities but we're working on the problem. Besides the wonderful world of Salt Lake City and the international airport is within an hour's drive but without the costs and frustration of having to live there.

Ogden has had it's ups and downs, as all towns our size have. As the saying goes, "you can run but you can't hide". Housing prices are determined by what you want and how much of it, the same as any other place. It's just that our base is a bit lower priced to start with. If you want brand new and over 3,000 sq ft, you're going to pay more than if you opt for an older home in a stable neighborhood.

I would suggest that you spend a little time here, even just a week or two, and check it out for yourself. What may seem like a minus to one person will be a plus to another. What you're looking for is a personal choice and no one but you can understand fully what will work and what won't. As for me, I like it here and it tickles me when other's discover what Ogden has to offer.

Ogden, Utah
reviews: 3
5. Re: considering moving my family and business to Ogden or area..

I just moved to Ogden in Aug of '07. So far, we have loved it. We bought an older home in the historic district which had been renovated. We are currently adding even more renovations by finishing the attic. We are walking distance to 25th street which is cute, quaint, and has a wonderful farmers market.

Although I wouldnt say Ogden is the nicest town I have ever lived in, it is on its way up. there is a new megaplex theatre which is re-vitalizing the entire downtown area, and lots of flipping and renovations are being done. It is improving by the day.

We bought our house for 90,000. My mother who is a real estate professional valued our house at 350,000 if it was located in Washington state (where we are from).

6. Re: considering moving my family and business to Ogden or area..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 14, 2009