We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling in march

Erembodegem
Traveling in march

Hello,

my girlfriend and I are traveling through California, Arizona, Utah and Nevada in March.

On one of our days we will be driving from Grand Canyon South Rim to Kayenta. I have a few questions about this:

- we will be visiting Grand Canyon the whole day long and then in the evening we will drive to Kayenta. I understood that is about 3 hours drive. is it advisable to drive to Kayenta after sunset?

- we are trying to be as flexible as possible and only book hotels/motels where absolutly necessary. I can't seem to find a lot of hotels/motels in Kayenta. Does any of you advise us to book a hotel for a fridayevening in March in Kayenta? This is our big trip and first time in America, so we don't have that much of an idea about the room availabiltiy in some places. Do you think it's easy to find a budget friendly hotel/motel in Kayenta even if we don't book now?

- do you maybe advise other places near Kayenta where we could stay? we would like to visit Monument Valley the day after and then in the somewhere in the afternoon drive on to Moab.

thanks in advance for your help!!

Ben

Santa Ana, CA
reviews: 13
1. Re: Traveling in march

In the city of Kayenta I think there are three really nice motels. You probably found these on the internet. They are not budget friendly.

About three miles west (I think) is the Anasazi Inn. They have a web-site but I don't think they pay to be listed with booking agents on the internet. They should be lower priced. If you make reservations ask for a room in the back building; building 400 I think it is. It's away from the highway. My only complaint here is that there was only one chair in the room; the room was a little smallish.

There is a restaurant, or coffee shop, on site.

Be aware of time zones as you travel this area. You will be moving from one to another. Also, when day light savings time kicks in, Arizona does not change, but the Navajo land does! Some places you go to will have two clocks.

Speaking of Navajo land, they do not allow consumption of alcoholic beverages in the restaurants.

The roads you travel on are excellent. Night travel is fine other than missing out on the passing scenery.

london
reviews: 70
2. Re: Traveling in march

Hi,

I also had problems to find a place in Kayenta, and then booked at Anasazi Inn, based on the positive reviews in this website. I have then posted my own review if you want to take a look at it.

They didn't charge me at the time of booking, (they only asked for my credit card to guarantee the room) but only when I got there. Perhaps you can ask for their cancellation policy; it may be only 24 hours, in which case it may be wise to secure the room now and then cancel it if you change your plans.

If you are walking in the Grand Canyon, you can also check my review on the Bright Angel Trail.

I hope in your trip you are also planning to see Bryce Canyon. That's amazing! Recommended at sunrise, with a warm coat as it's quite cold over there!

Have a great time!

Erembodegem
3. Re: Traveling in march

Thanks a lot for your advise DannyS and eurotourist75!!

we have done our reservation at Anasazi Inn...great price (and we asked for the canyon view ;) )..

to answer your question eurotourist75 : yes we will visit Bryce :)

Ben

Eindhoven
4. Re: Traveling in march

Hi there,

I am also going to do a short tour through Nevada, Utah and Arizona. I am planning the following route:

Las Vegas, Zion National Park, Monument Valley and Grand Canyon.

My question is mainly about the road conditions. I want to know what to expect: Snowfall, winter mix? Are snow chains recommended/mandatory?

Daan

Erembodegem
5. Re: Traveling in march

good question :) I was wondering about that too...

can anybody help us with that?

thanks

Ben

6. Re: Traveling in march

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:25 am, August 26, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Monument Valley