We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Full Moon Tour?

Bolingbrook...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Albuquerque, Santa Fe
reviews: 133
Full Moon Tour?

I'm considering a trip to Arizona in May of 2013 that would also include a visit to Monument Valley. My plans would be to stay at The View (there are openings and I'll book soon if this is going to happen).

The night I'll be there just happens to be the night of the full moon. Gouldings offers a 2.5 hour Full Moon Tour in Monument Valley. My question is whether this would be a good use of time/money or would it be better perhaps to relax and take it all in on my balcony at The View? Going on the tour would limit the time I could enjoy "The View". I DO intend to take a half day tour including the restricted area on the next day.

Thanks for any opinions, guidance, thoughts.

Keith

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 118
1. Re: Full Moon Tour?

I'd hang out at the View.

Bolingbrook...
Destination Expert
2. Re: Full Moon Tour?

Thanks RR, that's the way I was leaning. I just didn't know how to compare not having visited yet.

Hope your Moab Meet Up was great!

Keith

Catlin, Illinois
reviews: 97
3. Re: Full Moon Tour?

Hi KthSch,

When we were there durning the full moon we stayed out on out balcony at the View. For us, it was better to enjoy Monument Valley in the light of day.

There is no discribing the feeling you get watching the moon rise over the Mittens.

https:/…

Enjoy your trip!

Bolingbrook...
Destination Expert
4. Re: Full Moon Tour?

Thanks for the extra confirmation, rwdw. And great pics, too!

Keith

Ireland
Destination Expert
for County Meath, County Louth
reviews: 159
5. Re: Full Moon Tour?

Gosh, you never know who you are going to meet when lurking!

Hi Keith :-)

(I'm having a little peek every-so-often on the Utah forum in anticipation for our trip next March)

Any plans for a visit over my side of the pond anytime soon?

Bolingbrook...
Destination Expert
6. Re: Full Moon Tour?

Hey Little Pumpkin! How are you?

As I'm sure you've noticed, I've disappeared from the Ireland forums for awhile. Not sure when I'll be able to get back (finances, job uncertainty). I had hoped to get to Dublin in January for the TradFest. Great lineup. But alas, not to be.

So I've been sticking with my other discovery place for now, the Southwest of the U.S. I can control expenses better and cancel with little penalty if need be. (I fly Southwest Airlines which allows trip cancellation without penalty except the funds must be used within one year.)

You're going to LOVE Utah. In September I did a road trip with an old friend. We visited the 5 National Parks in southern Utah (as well as places in Arizona - e.g. Grand Canyon NP - and New Mexico). They're amazing! And there's so much more that couldn't be fit in this trip.

You'll also find (maybe you know already) that the Utah forums is one of the friendliest anywhere and the DE's are really knowledgeable, helpful and patient. Enjoy your planning!

Keith

Edited: 2:41 pm, October 14, 2012
Cookeville...
reviews: 106
7. Re: Full Moon Tour?

The moonlight tour was the most magical part of my visit to MV (and maybe of my whole trip); I also did the 1/2 day tour, which included some, but not a lot, of duplication.

Of course, I'm the poster who described the Alien Museum in Roswell as "sort of cute"; and I know how you felt about that site! : )

Just wanted to give you the POV of someone who'd loved the moonlight tour.

Bolingbrook...
Destination Expert
8. Re: Full Moon Tour?

Hey vcv,

Ha! At least MV is hardly Roswell. ;-)

Ah, the dilemmas of wanting to do it all! I'm paying an arm and a leg (and I think an organ to be determined) to stay at The View...so obviously I want to enjoy the view from the The View.

At the same time to be out among the monuments during the Full Moon...sounds awesome as well.

I think I'm going to wait to decide after I find out what the actual hours are for the tour. (They said they'd know come the New Year.) If I can both enjoy my room/balcony AND the tour...I'm in. And of course, there'll be the sunrise from my room as well.

Keith

Cookeville...
reviews: 106
9. Re: Full Moon Tour?

Keith,

We signed up for both tours late in the afternoon after arriving (the moonlight tour started only a few hours later, and there were plenty of slots--also, there were several vehicles, each with its own guide--so they seemed ready to accommodate anyone who signed up).

I do feel confident that you wouldn't put the moonlight tour in the same category as the alien museum. : )

vcv

10. Re: Full Moon Tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, December 15, 2013