We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White Pocket

Which Kanab hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 41
White Pocket

Hi Kanab Forum

I'd be really grateful for some advice. We are doing a tour of all the National Parks in Utah, and will be spending 6 nights in Zion.

Unfortunately there seem to be so many "must visit" places I am struggling to fit everything I'd like to do in.

Really we would like to have gone to North Coyote Buttes, but we werent successful in the lottery. So as a second option, would it be worth doing a day trip to White Pocket? Due to the location (driving across sand), I think we'd go on a guided tour (which seem to be about $200 per person and there's 2 of us).

I am in 2 minds. We aren't avid photographers, and this seems to be a real photography destination. If we didnt go here, we might have a go at hiking Buckskin Gulch instead.

Obviously this is a very subjective question, but if we gave White Pocket a miss and went to Buckskin Gulch, do you think that would be the wrong decision?

Toronto, Canada
11. Re: White Pocket

Hello James. We are renting 4WD in Kanab and driving to White Pocket and South Buttes Coyote on April 10 and 11 with overnight camping at White Pocket. Do you know how are the roads there now? What and who is the best source to check on roads condition while in Kanab? Thank you.

Steamboat Springs...
reviews: 19
12. Re: White Pocket

The BLM office in Kanab is definitely the best source for road conditions in this neck of the woods. House Rock Valley rd is not very good when it's wet, especially from the north access. Amazingly..(not really because it's mostly sand)...the roads to South Coyote and White pocket get better when they are wet. The sand firms up. Easier to stay on top while driving.

Overnight at White Pocket will be amazing. Great light opportunities at sunset and sunrise. Make sure you're up for both. Not like this place needs any help.

Toronto, Canada
13. Re: White Pocket

Thank you.

We will use every single minute to enjoy White Pocket and SCB.

London, United...
reviews: 41
14. Re: White Pocket

Hi James - Thank you for the suggestion of driving there in an off road 4WD. I am just a normal driver - do you have to be a great driver to drive that road on sand?

Hudson Valley
reviews: 1
15. Re: White Pocket

FYI, if you're staying in Page, you can also rent a high clearance 4WD jeep from Rick at Canyon Country Adventures (that's who we rented from). We had not driven on sand before, but we read up on it and were sure to know our route (e.g. to Coyote Buttes South we took the longer way to avoid driving uphill in the sand). While GPS is handy to have, I wouldn't solely rely on it (we had maps and several books).

16. Re: White Pocket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 18, 2014