We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White Pocket

Which Kanab hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 41
White Pocket

Hi Kanab Forum

I'd be really grateful for some advice. We are doing a tour of all the National Parks in Utah, and will be spending 6 nights in Zion.

Unfortunately there seem to be so many "must visit" places I am struggling to fit everything I'd like to do in.

Really we would like to have gone to North Coyote Buttes, but we werent successful in the lottery. So as a second option, would it be worth doing a day trip to White Pocket? Due to the location (driving across sand), I think we'd go on a guided tour (which seem to be about $200 per person and there's 2 of us).

I am in 2 minds. We aren't avid photographers, and this seems to be a real photography destination. If we didnt go here, we might have a go at hiking Buckskin Gulch instead.

Obviously this is a very subjective question, but if we gave White Pocket a miss and went to Buckskin Gulch, do you think that would be the wrong decision?

Steamboat Springs...
reviews: 19
1. Re: White Pocket

I love Buckskin Gulch. It is a world class slot canyon. Maybe the longest in the world. Some beautiful formations and colorful rock to see in the upper portion. However.... an opportunity to see White Pocket is not taken by many. You would really be amazed that this crazy, colorful swirl of rocks, is part of the earth landscape. It is a totally worthy day trip, even if you aren't photographers. If you don't mind spending the money, I'd go on the guided trip into White Pocket. The place is awesome.

Atascadero...
Destination Expert
for Lake Powell
2. Re: White Pocket

Pretty subjective decision, since both places are worthy. And they are different. I'd say Buckskin, but only if you're willing to do some good hiking. If you're willing to go in 3 miles or so from the Wire Pass trailhead before turning around, Buckskin gets my vote. And the price is right too (zero).

But powderglut makes a strong case for White Pocket.

The adventure of hiking a great slot? Or being amazed by geology out in the open? Hmm...

...chocolate cake? Or boysenberry pie? Hmm...

London, United...
3. Re: White Pocket

A split jury! Thank you for your thoughts, I guess it was an impossible question. But as long as you dont think White Pocket will be a disappointment if we do choose to spend the $$, then I cant really go wrong.

Steamboat Springs...
reviews: 19
4. Re: White Pocket

Don't get me wrong, I think Buckskin is top of the line destination. I just think, you don't get too many chances to see a place like White Pocket.

zionnational-park.com/paria-white-pocket.htm

Hudson Valley
reviews: 1
5. Re: White Pocket

I haven't been to White Pocket yet (we were supposed to go after visiting Coyote Buttes South last year, but we didn't make it) and think Buckskin Gulch is incredibly beautiful (have been there twice). You can't go wrong with either, but I would probably lean towards White Pocket, only because you likely won't have a chance to see anything else like it (perhaps you will be able to visit another slot canyon on your trip?). On the other hand, my frugal side says you can't beat free. ;-) If you choose Buckskin Gulch and time allows, you could also visit Yellow Rock. While it's not White Pocket, it would still give you a taste of some terrific geology and colors (pictures from our hike there last year, it was definitely a highlight! www.pbase.com/pudgy_groundhog/yellowrock2012)

London, United...
6. Re: White Pocket

Thank you for your message Pudgy Grounghog. I saw your link on a previous post and have already changed my plans based on it - it looks like you had an amazing trip, and they are great photos. if our trip is half as good as yours looked we will be happy. Was Coyote Buttes South one of the highlights of your trip - i.e. would it be worth the risk of seeing if you can get a permit at the time?

Hudson Valley
reviews: 1
7. Re: White Pocket

Coyote Buttes South was one of the highlights - but from what I understand White Pocket is equally awesome (like I mentioned we originally planned to do both). Personally, I would just do White Pocket and save the time of having to try for a walk in permit (maybe somebody else can commit on the odds of getting a walk up permit for Coyote Buttes South - I have no idea how competitive it is). They moved the permits to the BLM office in Kanab, so it's out of the way if you are staying in Page like we did (we debated about trying for a permit for the Wave and decided not too because it was out of the way and the odds were low anyway). In the time you spend going for a walk up permit, you could be hiking Buckskin Gulch. ;-)

Is it your first time to the southwest? If so, you are in for a real treat. No matter what you decide to see and do, it's all fantastic. You'll have a great trip. :)

London, United...
8. Re: White Pocket

I have been to Bryce, and to Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend, but the rest is new to us. And there just seems to be so much to see and do! Thank you for your thoughts :-)

Kanab, UT
9. Re: White Pocket

There is a rental car place in Kanab, UT that offers 4 wheel drive vehicles. The Road to white pockets really isn't bad as long as there hasn't been any rain or snow. If you would like anymore help or recommendations I run the Holiday Inn Express in Kanab and you can email me at hikanab@gmail.com or you can contact our tourism office for this area and they have lots of good information their number is 435-644-5033.

James West

Santa Ana, CA
reviews: 13
10. Re: White Pocket

Welcome to the Trip Advisor forums!