We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Won lottery for The Wave on my birthday

Which Kanab hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pacific, Washington
reviews: 118
Won lottery for The Wave on my birthday

I lucked out and won the lottery to do The Wave *ON* my birthday in May. The day is a Tuesday and my husband and I plan to do the following:

Friday : fly to Las Vegas and drive to Zion. overnight in Zion

Saturday: Zion - Angel's Landing hike (I will do it myself, DH doesn't like hiking too much!!) and then we will drive through the park on the shuttle

Sunday: Maybe drive to Goblin Valley?? or should we stay in Zion and visit more sights? Husband is not much into hiking and would prefer driving to see the views.

Monday: Drive to Kanab, visit Best Friends animal sanctuary, overnight Kanab

Tuesday: The Wave with Dreamland Safari tours. overnight Kanab.

Wednesday AM drive back to Las Vegas and fly home.

This will be my first visit to The Wave. I won the lottery for January 2012 but had bad flu and couldn't go. I feel that going with Dreamland Tours will be a good option as we are both bad with directions and I want to make the day as special as possible without stressing over getting lost.

Is Goblin Valley a must see or would we better off spending 2 full days in Zion?

If we decide to stay in Zion Park itself, does the hotel have an internet connection? DH is adamant that he HAS to check email on our trip :(

Steamboat Springs...
reviews: 19
1. Re: Won lottery for The Wave on my birthday

Goblin Valley is way too far away to do on this trip. Add another day in Zion. A guide at the Wave, would assure that you get to see all the best highlights of the area. So.. not a bad thing at all.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
reviews: 373
2. Re: Won lottery for The Wave on my birthday

If you want to branch out from Zion, then head up to Bryce Canyon for a day trip. Goblin Valley is a great little park, but way too far for a day trip from Zion. Zion, Bryce Canyon and The Wave would give you three completely different perspectives in terms of views and geology. Of course, just spending Sunday in Zion is also a very good option.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 8
3. Re: Won lottery for The Wave on my birthday

The Zion Lodge has a public computer just off to the side of the lobby(at least they did last time)that you can use.

Goblin Valley is pretty far. A short trip close to Kanab is Coral Pink Dunes. The side road in there, Hancock Road, hits hwy 89 not far from the entrance road into Best Friends.

While in Kanab, try eating at Rockin V.

Edited: 9:01 pm, February 18, 2013
Pacific, Washington
reviews: 118
4. Re: Won lottery for The Wave on my birthday

Thank you everyone. Having studied the map I agree that Goblin Valley is way too far so we will do Wahweap Hoodoos instead as it's close to Kanab.

Dez40, thanks for the recommendation for food - we'll give it a try!

5. Re: Won lottery for The Wave on my birthday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 21, 2014