We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car drive from Las Vegas to Kanab

Which Kanab hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brno, Czech Republic
reviews: 14
Car drive from Las Vegas to Kanab

Hello fellow travellers,

Background: we would like to try to get to The Wave park, therefore we need to apply for permit personally in Kanab Visitor Center at 8.30am. We have 3 days in the area only and since we arrive to Las Vegas (after all day flight from Pacific) at very late hours, we will be staying there and having short sleep and then immeditealy going to Kanab and apply for permits in the morning.

How long drive is it going to be from Las Vegas (Boulder Hwy) to Kanab, on Monday early morning (to get to Kanab at 8am)? Google maps says 3 hours, 15 minutes http://goo.gl/maps/cqZ9K

I just noticed there's also a time difference not in our favor. Is it an easy drive with not many risks to exceed the time by much?

When do I need to get up? :-)

Thanks!

Ales

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 119
1. Re: Car drive from Las Vegas to Kanab

The drive is on good roads, but it will be dark and desolate. I'd allow closer to 4 hours, and yes, you'll lose an hour. You realize, I hope, that if you win a permit, it will be for the following day.

I advise you to have a plan B

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 202
2. Re: Car drive from Las Vegas to Kanab

Given the distance, the time change, the fact that it's for the next day, and that you may or may not get a permit, I might suggest that there are sufficient other things to do in the region that you might focus on those. You can have a great experience there without going to the Wave.

Good luck.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 7
3. Re: Car drive from Las Vegas to Kanab

I would try to leave before 3:30 am Vegas time.Figure a 3.5 hour drive plus a time change, you should get there around 8am Utah time.Thats cutting it pretty close.

Be careful driving with very little sleep on those long stretches of desert road.

Like RedRox said, hopefully you have some other things lined up in case you strike out on getting a permit.

Brno, Czech Republic
4. Re: Car drive from Las Vegas to Kanab

Thanks Everybody. I really appreciate it.

I know now the odds of getting into The Wave are low, that's why we want to drive there and participate in the lottery on the very first day - to double our chances, as we are there for 3 days. I'm aware of that if we get lucky, we may enter on the other day.

Anyway we have a lot of other plans including Antelope (my favorite), Bryce, Grand Canyon so The Wave would be just very nice cherry on top :)

Let's see, let the game begin :)

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
5. Re: Car drive from Las Vegas to Kanab

Esp the stretch between Hurricane and Fredonia is desolate. Drive carefully because of the wildlife on the roads in the dark. What time of year are you coming and what do you mean by :"all day flight from Pacific" ?

Brno, Czech Republic
6. Re: Car drive from Las Vegas to Kanab

Hi Tet14, thanks for the warning.

The time of year is (as you've already found out in the other topic) March. We will be returning from French Polynesia, we have 6 days stopover in USA. The flight PPT-LAX is 8hrs and then LAX-LAS 1hr+. I realized now it's not a whole day flight as I was worried, it just looked more scary when I quickly overlooked the whole itinerary with the local times. False alarm, only the difference will be the enemy :)

I just hope the flight to LAX is not delayed and 1 hr 50mins is enough for us to change the flights (at LAX at around 8pm), otherwise the whole plan with early drive to Kanab goes down.

7. Re: Car drive from Las Vegas to Kanab

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 17, 2014