We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Wave - chances in March

Which Kanab hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brno, Czech Republic
reviews: 14
The Wave - chances in March

Hello Everybody,

anyone has an idea what's the chance of getting walk-in permit to North trail / The Wave in the beginning of March? High? Low?

Thanks!

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
reviews: 46
1. Re: The Wave - chances in March

Low. I think I read that the chance is no better than 1 in 3 pretty much regardless of when you turn up.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 118
2. Re: The Wave - chances in March

Bob is an optimist.

Edited: 12:28 am, February 15, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
3. Re: The Wave - chances in March

Oh :-(

Thanks for info

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
4. Re: The Wave - chances in March

Oh, ignore my question in your other thread. I now see you are coming in march.

Hudson Valley
reviews: 1
5. Re: The Wave - chances in March

I wouldn't count on it. We were there last March and had considered trying for a walk in (after not getting one in the lottery), but decided not to try since we felt it would be a waste of a day (we were staying in Page and it would kill a lot of the day to go to Kanab for lottery, especially if we didn't get in).

I'm glad we didn't go because we met other hikers who had gone - there were over a hundred people there I believe. And your chances are even less if a name gets drawn that has a big group that takes up the bulk of the spots.

There are many other beautiful things to see in the area however - so don't be disappointed. We haven't made it into the Wave yet, but still have enjoyed our time in that area.

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 36
6. Re: The Wave - chances in March

I would try, because you will NEVER get a walk-in if you don't show up. Keep your number low (1 or 2) and get there early.

If you don't get the pass, you can always hike Buckskin Gulch or head over to Vermillion Cliffs, both really beautiful areas to hike and neither require a permit.

*Pixie*

Brno, Czech Republic
7. Re: The Wave - chances in March

Hi Pixie, what do you mean by "keep your number low"? Sorry for question if it is obvious, I'm not native English speaker :)

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
reviews: 317
8. Re: The Wave - chances in March

If the Wave is something you really want to see, then give it a shot and try for the permits. Someone has to win the permits. Just be prepared with a paln B, and there are a LOT of options for things to see and do.

What Pixie means by "keep your number low" is two have a small group (1 or 2 people).

Now, the flip side is that with limitied time you will be spending a lot of it trying to get the permit, when you could be out enjoying all there is to see that does not require a permit...which is almost everything else. The Wave is amazing, but there are many other sights in the region that are just as amazing.

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 36
9. Re: The Wave - chances in March

Yes, Ohio exactly what I was trying to say. (:

Larger groups that can win could be 10, but normally it's in the range of 5, 6 or 7; if they win, only those with 1, 2 or 3 can get the remaining slots. They reach in, pull out and if it's say 4 or more they toss it aside and keep selecting until they reach the "magic" number of 10. It's even better odds if you can give yourself more than one day to try.

*Pixie*

Brno, Czech Republic
10. Re: The Wave - chances in March

I see. We're just a couple, so from that point of view we are in better position. Thanks