We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antelope Canyon tour while in Kanab

Which Kanab hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
reviews: 19
Antelope Canyon tour while in Kanab

Hello,

We'll be in the area for our first time in May. It will be somewhere between May 18-23. At that time of year, do you have a recommendation for which time tour we should take of Antelope Canyon? I have read that the 11:30 tour is the prime time and best for the lighting, but that the prime time can be so overcrowded it is not enjoyable.

Is it equally fantastic in the morning or afternoon that you would recommend we go when it is less busy or is the lighting at 11:30 really that much different and more spectacular that it is worth bracing the crowds?

I am also curious if anyone has a recommendation of which of the few different tour companies to use? Thanks!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 134
1. Re: Antelope Canyon tour while in Kanab

It will take about an hour and a half to get to Antelope Canyon from Kanab. It's on the far side of Page. The time of day really matters little IMO. You don't need to choose a tour company. Just go to the tribal park entrance and join the next tour from there. Booking a tour from in town only adds to the pressure of getting there at a specific time, and when coming all the way from Kanab, I wouldn't want to worry about that.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 117
2. Re: Antelope Canyon tour while in Kanab

If you are a photographer who wants a photo with the sunbeams hitting the floor of the canyon then you'll need to take the mid day tour. (though I suppose they do I don't know if the sunrays hit the floor in May anyway).

But if you want to enjoy the canyon and still get some great photos of the light on the walls and experience a slot canyon then it doesn't matter what time of day you go.

toronto
3. Re: Antelope Canyon tour while in Kanab

Thanks. We're leaning I think to a later afternoon tour with lighter crowds. If we do a 3:00 tour that ends at 4:30, do we need to be concerned with driving back to Kanab in the dark? (Not sure what time the sun sets that time of year, and if the roads are pretty flat/safe driving back or if the drive from Kanab to Page involves any twisty, mountainside roads?)

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
4. Re: Antelope Canyon tour while in Kanab

You shouldn't be driving back in the dark at 5 in May. Should work just fine. And the road is fine, not straight, but easy enough if you go the speed limit.

Brno, Czech Republic
reviews: 15
5. Re: Antelope Canyon tour while in Kanab

> Just go to the tribal park entrance and join the next tour from there.

We are a couple who also wants to visit Antelope Canyon. Actually it's the #2 for us after The Wave (and I'm already preparing myself for the situation of not winning the lottery) and since I'm a photographer, I'm looking for the best opportunity to take good pictures. I'm aware it's the best around noon (I hope even in March).

Is it really best for us to just show up at let's say 11am and wait for next group? Can't it be full? I suppose there is a limit for a group, isn't it?

toronto
6. Re: Antelope Canyon tour while in Kanab

After doing more research and reading more reviews, we decided in the end of book with Overland Tours. We're not going until May so I can't tell you whether or not that was the right decision, but from reading lots of reviews here and on other sites that seemed like the best option.

I know for me I wouldn't be able to relax without knowing I had a specific tour booked well in advance.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
7. Re: Antelope Canyon tour while in Kanab

<< Is it really best for us to just show up at let's say 11am and wait for next group?>>

No it is not "best ". It is only one option. It would depend on what time of year. What time of day. And when you would be arriving in Page and how much time you have.

If your time is short , you want the middle of the day in August , then personally I would book a tour ahead of time.

Coming in March the chances of you not getting in when you wanted would be less. So maybe not as essential to book ahead.

Brno, Czech Republic
reviews: 15
8. Re: Antelope Canyon tour while in Kanab

Thank you

9. Re: Antelope Canyon tour while in Kanab

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 20, 2014