We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TA Meet-up

Which Kanab hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Steamboat Springs...
reviews: 19
TA Meet-up

At this point, there really is not much more I can add, that hasn't already been said. It was an extremely well organized meet-up.

Wave permits were procured thru BLM's online lottery for Thurs and Mon in July. We had 19 out of the 20, available online permits, for those 2 days.

We planned the Toroweap Overlook trip for Saturday and the float down the Colorado river (Glen Canyon Dam - Lee's Ferry) months ahead. Friday was the one day we left open, as we spread ourselves all over SW Utah.

OhioHick started up a separate website for us to throw around ideas and opinions. I'd say it was instrumental in the success of this meet-up. The VRBO, drivers for Tuweep, who hikes the Wave on what day, The raft trip, all our dinners, horse trips, what beer, what wine, were all discussed on this site. Danny making dinner suggestions and the reservations, all from his past days in Kanab, highly influenced our choices.

Everybody shared their food, drink, vehicles. The humor and friendship was rampant. Weather? Perfecto! Was there anything on the downside? Yah, not having enuf time to spend with everyone attending. I will make it a point to talk and get to know everyone a little better next time. You know who you are.

Deb and I were on our own on Friday. We had the East Mesa Tr (Zion Np) to Observation Point on our hit list. Thanks to Dez, we had great info to the trailhead. This trail actually starts outside of the park, and traverses a high mesa with not much more than 200-300 ft of vertical change. Approx 3.5 miles to OP. There were 3 cars already parked at the TH when we arrived. Less than 1 hour drive from the VRBO. The hike out was very comfortable, in the 70's, and we didn't see a soul until we reached OP. We spent a couple hours out at the point meeting people and eating lunch. The walk back was once again, all on our own. We peeked into Mystery Canyon on the way in and out. Nice fall colors, down near the bottom, added to the view. We hustled back, got showers, and then headed out to the Kanab sign for pix. You've all heard the rest of the story, filled in by numerous other TR's.

So, thanks to all who participated in this beauty of a meet- up. Can't wait to see you all again.

Here are the pix I posted earlier on the original meet-up post.

https:/…

Steamboat Springs...
11. Re: TA Meet-up

That one trail is a gem Dez. With all the people in the park that weekend, it really was a pleasure to have that trail all to ourselves. Though,After seeing lvziggy's west rim hike, that one's on the short list. Some Kolob stuff too.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 8
12. Re: TA Meet-up

West rim is a classic, you will love it.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 144
13. Re: TA Meet-up

I'm figuring that we will be seeing you guys again, soon. And looking forward to it.

Great account. Hopefully other meet up participants can realize the value of planning and appreciate what OH did for us all. And of course the participation by everyone built the excitement and enthusiasm.

I'm in NH this week and already way behind, having gone for over a day without Internet access. But I had to answer you first.

Steamboat Springs...
14. Re: TA Meet-up

RR, I'm thinking Cow Hampshuh may have more snow than Colorado. I'll bet the White Mts are looking really sweet.

We really had a great time with you guys. Looking forward to the next.

Las Vegas, Nevada
reviews: 24
15. Re: TA Meet-up

PG, I sure hope we can join you on that pool diving hike. That looked amazing (in the movie, anyway). And something I've been wanting to do is a backpack trip to the Kolob Arch via Lees Pass. That would be a good summer trip. It was definitely a pleasure meeting you and your wife (and the rest of the gang!). I look forward to spending more time with you.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 126
16. Re: TA Meet-up

I heard that was filmed at the Crater at the Homestead????

evergreen, colorado
reviews: 20
17. Re: TA Meet-up

Powderglut, you and Deb have a date! Please tell her I said hi!!

Steamboat Springs...
18. Re: TA Meet-up

I'm pretty sure you're right on that location Kbec. There is not anything like that at all in the BlueJohn C area. That's Hollywood for ya!

Ziggy, we will have some sort of plan for around mid, to end of April, when our ski area closes. My friends expect me to "out do" each years trip. So I have a lot of researching to do. Zion may be part of it. I may be democratic this year and ask the others for some input. I will probably PM it around March, to those TAers that might want to join us on any parts of it.

19. Re: TA Meet-up

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 06, 2012