We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coyote Gulch - Water Sources?

Which Escalante hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 18
Coyote Gulch - Water Sources?

Hi all,

We'll be doing a 3 week trip in Southern Utah/Northern Arizona in September. We'll be doing a two day/one night hike in Coyote Gulch, everything i've read seems to suggest that water sources are fairly good but it'd be great to get a little clarification...

We're planning to do the loop route from the 40 mile water tank, in via Hurricane Wash and out at the crack. We'll be carrying in water for the first day but will most likely need to stock up for the second day. I have the National Geographic "Canyons of the Escalante" topo map, which marks a spring about half way down into Hurricane Wash. Is this correct? I can't find a whole lot on the net about this one? This one is probably not a big issue as it's fairly early on in our hike and we'll still have plenty of water on us at this point.

Once in Coyote Gulch, I read that there are several springs and seeps around Jacob Hamblin Arch and a few others further down stream, does this sound right? Are they reliable and flowing all year round? We'll probably do it anyway to be safe, but do they need filtering?

Any tips or info you can provide would be great. Thanks for your help!

Atascadero...
Destination Expert
for Lake Powell
1. Re: Coyote Gulch - Water Sources?

Finding water is generally not a problem on the hike. You've heard pretty much correctly, and the springs are typically reliable year round. Yes, there are seeps you can draw from in Hurricane Wash, and at least one fairly obvious spring. In general, if you're looking for a spring, look for lush greenery along a horizontal crack in a wall with a small seep or flow at ground level heading toward the main drainage. You'll usually find a drip or small flow in there somewhere--not typically a gusher, but something you can collect.

From an artesian spring straight out of the rock, even one flowing through greenery, no filtering or treatment should be needed. It's only an issue if you suspect animals have been around and pooping in the water. Thus, I'd treat and/or filter water from the creek itself, but the springs should be good as is.

The first few miles on the Hurricane route are out in the open with no water, but once the canyon walls start to rise (after about 4 miles or so), you'll be all right. There are nice springs in Coyote Gulch itself, including one just beyond Jacob Hamblin Arch that actual flows out of the rock on the left side as you go downstream.

If you can't find a spring anywhere, you can always create a little pool or dam in a backwater eddy of the creek, let the silt settle, and pump from there. Not quite as good as a spring, but not bad in a pinch.

The crack route on the way out will be pretty dry, so fill up before climbing out that way.

Edited: 7:39 pm, July 21, 2013
Steamboat Springs...
reviews: 19
2. Re: Coyote Gulch - Water Sources?

JFR pretty much nailed it. There are a few obvious seeps coming off the walls. These generally are safe water sources. As said, the ground filters this water, until it emerges from the wall. It's a good idea to bring a filter, just in case you have to use the Coyote as a water source. There is a strong flowing seep 1/2-1/4 mile (on the left going downstream) before the route up to the Crack. I would fill up all your water bottles there before heading up.

Have fun! Beautiful place.

reviews: 18
3. Re: Coyote Gulch - Water Sources?

Thank you both, very helpful info! Looking forward to it.... :-)

4. Re: Coyote Gulch - Water Sources?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, July 24, 2014