We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't decide on staying at the Sheraton or not???????????

Which South Padre Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Can't decide on staying at the Sheraton or not???????????

My husband and I are planning a much needed gettaway to South Padre Island soon. We were thinking of staying at the Sheraton, but after reading the recent reviews it doesn't sound like such a nice place. Any thoughts??????????????????????

Arlington, Texas
Destination Expert
for South Padre Island
reviews: 20
1. Re: Can't decide on staying at the Sheraton or not???????????

OK, here's the deal. Sheraton, Radisson, Holiday Inn (the old one), Bahia Mar have all been here for years and have seen about 10 years too many spring breakers. SPI is really lacking when it comes to full service hotels. There are some newer MOtels on the island that may fit your needs better. Frankly, depending on how long you are planning on staying (anything longer than 3 nights), I would look into condo rental...it's a much better deal for your money, and there is a pretty good selection depending on the time of year you are planning on visiting.

California
2. Re: Can't decide on staying at the Sheraton or not???????????

We would like to stay somewhere that is right on the beach and has a view. Do you know if any of the new motels that you mention have this set up? We are only able to stay 3 nights so we are boardering on hotel/motel or condo. Thank's for your help.

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 16
3. Re: Can't decide on staying at the Sheraton or not???????????

If you're looking for motels along the beach I would look into LaQuita and LaCopa. Honestly I have not stayed at either but they both have decent reviews and appear to be on the beach.

If you choose from the Sheraton, Radisson, and Holiday Inn group I would go with the Sheraton. It is showing its age but has improved somewhat since renovating their rooms. Their pool area is my favorite in SPI. But I agree with linlo, if you can find a decent condo to stay in! Good luck!

Arlington, Texas
Destination Expert
for South Padre Island
4. Re: Can't decide on staying at the Sheraton or not???????????

The newer motels that I am familiar with (and have not stayed at either) are the previously mentioned La Copa or La Quinta (i think they are managed by the same people) You can go to this website to check them out, but I would still call in person to make sure you get what you want. www.enjoyspi.com

If it is just the 2 of you, then you can easily make it for 3 days w/o kitchen facilities or restaurant on site. If you stay at La Copa and want to eat a little upscale, the newest restaurant on the island is right next door and you can walk up beach side. It is at the Peninsula Resort and the name of the restaurant is Las Olas (the Waves, I think). It was very good (delicious steak). they are still working out the bumps, english is a small problem, but they are very accomodating, and overall I was favorably impressed.

California
5. Re: Can't decide on staying at the Sheraton or not???????????

Thank's for the information and advice. We've decided to rent a condo in Sadia Towers. Hopefully it is as nice as it looks. Do you know anything about it.

Magnolia, TX
reviews: 1
6. Re: Can't decide on staying at the Sheraton or not???????????

Just got back from SPI! Great place, you will love it! We checked out alot of the condos before we left (we weren't happy with the Inverness (Padre Rentals Inc) at all!).

The Seabreeze II seemed to be a really nice place to stay and the lady manager there was extremely helpful! It was clean and well taken care of. The Seabreeze III was the same way.

Hope this helps you decide!

Arlington, Texas
Destination Expert
for South Padre Island
7. Re: Can't decide on staying at the Sheraton or not???????????

Saida is a several building complex probably 20+ years old. Do not be deceived into thinking that the Royale Beach and Tennis Club (which looks like it is part of the Saida complex), is with the Saida buildings. I have never stayed at the Saida, but it is a popular place. I am sure some condos are in better shape than others. If possible I would request one that has been recently updated. I have stayed at the Royale, although it was many years ago. Once upon a time it was owned by the Hilton company, I believe, which also owned the Radisson at that time. At the time, It was very nice, and I think even now better maintained than the Saida (I think they share the same pool). We stayed in a one bedroom condo, and it was lovely, but like I said, it was at least 15 years ago.

You can go to www.royaylespi.com and look at the pictures. In the picture with all the buildings, the Royale is the tallest one on the right side; the smaller buildings surrounding it make up the Saida complex.

8. Re: Can't decide on staying at the Sheraton or not???????????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, August 14, 2009