We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea weed on the beach & 4th of July

Which Port Aransas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas
reviews: 3
Sea weed on the beach & 4th of July

We visited Port A July 2010 and the sea weed on the beach was crazy!! There was so much all up and down it, and floating out in the water as well. We didn't go last summer so idk what it was like last year. I was wondering what the sea weed is like now since we are planning on coming back this July. Also if anyone knows of any big plans for the 4th of July I would love to know. We watched the fireworks from the marina when you come across the ferry last year and it was nice, and the year before we watched in Corpus...but wondering if there was anything new planned. Thanks!!

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
reviews: 62
1. Re: Sea weed on the beach & 4th of July

The see weed is pretty much like the weather - your guess is as good as mine.

Michigan
reviews: 62
2. Re: Sea weed on the beach & 4th of July

Last year (2011) the sea weed was thick, also. Hopefully with the crazy weather we have had this year, the sea weed won't be bad. I'm going to Port A on 5/1/12 so I will provide a post on sea weed conditions when I get down there.

tulsa, ok
reviews: 1
3. Re: Sea weed on the beach & 4th of July

it's here big time!

Dallas
reviews: 3
4. Re: Sea weed on the beach & 4th of July

Ok thank you for all your responses. I saw some recent pictures and see it's down there pretty bad. I also know in off season they don't really clean it up as much though. So maybe come summer time it won't be so bad.

We are booked for the 4th so sea weed or not, we are coming lol. I am just hoping it will not be as bad as previous years. Sledrider I will keep an eye out for your post!!

Thaks much :)

Edited: 12:09 pm, March 27, 2012
Austin, Texas
5. Re: Sea weed on the beach & 4th of July

we went last september and there was hardly any

San Antonio, Texas
reviews: 35
6. Re: Sea weed on the beach & 4th of July

Was in port A this last weekend (April 14,15) at Aransas princess (the far end of the protected beach)....they were cleaning up seaweed both mornings (early) that we were there in the protected beach areas....and it was not too bad....but.not so much down the beach past Acess 1A.

it is already coming in pretty good, so bring a rake. Water is nice temperature, but it has been pretty windy down there. Just hoping it isnt this next weekend for Sandfest.

And yes, in the fall it goes away - the water is clear and warm and the town isnt so crowded, rates go down too. that is our fav time as well.

Port Aransas, Texas
7. Re: Sea weed on the beach & 4th of July

The seaweed really is random and I guess has something to do with the tides / currents. We've been down when there was almost none and had friends go down the following weekend and complain it was terrible.

The beaches between Beach 1A and Lantana drive are maintained by the city and raked at least once a week. But if it's coming in from the sea, there's not much they can do to stop it.

Another option if it's really bad in Port A is to go down the the National Seashore. They tend to rake more often and it might be in a different current pattern. And I'd stick with the fireworks for the 4th!

http://www.MyPortA.com

Pflugerville, Texas
8. Re: Sea weed on the beach & 4th of July

Last 4th of July we took a very short boat ride to a small island. We hadn't heard about it until last year when we went looking for stuff to do. Again, don't remember the name, something like St. Mary's, St. Elizabeth, may not even start with St. LOL Sorry. Anyway, almost no seaweed, very calm water, lots of shells and sand dollars. We're definitely revisiting this upcoming 4th. Can anyone help with the name. The boat you take is over there in Port A where all the ships come in.

Pflugerville, Texas
9. Re: Sea weed on the beach & 4th of July

Found it. St. Joe's Island.

Clayton
10. Re: Sea weed on the beach & 4th of July

If you check the Island Moon newpaper available on Facebook the June 21 2012 edition advised there is almost no weed on the beaches or out as far as 80 miles ,so July 4 this year promises weed free.

Edited: 9:44 pm, June 22, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Port Aransas
Recent Conversations