We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need Midland info, family crisis

Which Midland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
reviews: 20
need Midland info, family crisis

My (single, no relatives nearby) BIL is suddenly in the ICU in Midland and it looks like family members will be going to & from. We are all from various other states and no one is wealthy (eg, kids in college, etc)

Can locals recommend:

Lower price but clean hotels near hosp? Eating places ditto? Or residence-suites kind of places?

The kind of companies that clean out apts and take furniture etc to outfits such as Goodwill, Vietnam Vets, etc?

Rental cars? Rental vans such as Rider in the area?

I guess I'll think of more things to ask. Thank you!

9 replies to this topic
Texas
reviews: 141
1. Re: need Midland info, family crisis

Sorry about your BIL. I haven't been to Midland in several years, so the only advice I can offer is it's easy to get rental cars at the airport. Try using www.kayak.com to search for car deals and hotels. Hotwire is another option. UHaul is in Midland.

NJ
2. Re: need Midland info, family crisis

Can anyone tell me what kind of grocery store Albertson's is? I wd like to send a fruit platter or something like that to people who have been kind to us. Are they a good quality store that can do something like that, and will they deliver?

McGregor, TX
reviews: 3
3. Re: need Midland info, family crisis

Albertson's is typically a decent grocery store. I've never been to the one in Midland, but most of the ones I have been to have been good. I don't know if they'd deliver or not. I'm so sorry... you must be so frustrated with us. It's just that things are very different in Midland than what you're probably used to. I don't know any grocery stores that deliver.

If it were me, I'd probably order from Harry and David instead.

I haven't been to Midland in ages, but when I went my family stayed at the Fairfield Inn. My suggestion would be to call the hospital and see if they have any hotels which discount their rates for patients' families. Can family members stay in your BIL's apartment to save money?

I am so sorry about your BIL.

Grapevine, Texas
Destination Expert
for Grapevine
reviews: 58
4. Re: need Midland info, family crisis

I've never been to Midland, but am in the D/FW area and Albertsons is one of 3 or 4 mainline grocery stores. It's not gourmet, but it's not Wal-Mart either. That said, Albertsons does not deliver, but I'd call the store, talk with the manager and explain your wishes and reasons for them. He may be able to help you out and help you with your selection from the deli. If not, all you're out is the phone call.

I wish you and your family the best during your bil's battle.

Not sure if they're in Midland, but other (TX) good quality grocery stores to check are Kroger and Tom Thumb.

5. Re: need Midland info, family crisis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, August 12, 2011

Marlin Texas USA
reviews: 44
6. Re: need Midland info, family crisis

This is a difficult time for you, and I hope that the replies you get here (with one notable exception, and I'm sure Midland is pleased someone isn't returning) are of help.

Motels/hotels, rental car, and restaurant information will be available from www.midlandtxchamber.com which is the Chamber of Commerce site. Explain your situation and they will be most helpful. You can also get information from www.midlandtx.gov/visitors--again, explain your situation.

Few groceries deliver. You might try a bakery, or in a pinch, a florist for an appreciation gift.

My sincere hope that all goes well for you and your family.

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
reviews: 161
7. Re: need Midland info, family crisis

Just to clarify, the original post was from February. I hope the BIL is out of ICU by now.

NJ
8. Re: need Midland info, family crisis

Thank you all for the help!

My BIL passed away near the end of Feb. My H was able to make one trip there the day this happened & do some things; his other brother was already there. Then we all went for the funeral & several days surrounding it. That is other sibs, nieces etc & spouses.

Some of us stayed at the Country Inn & Suites next to the highway. The staff was wonderful to us when they realized what we were there for and they were pretty nice before they found that out, too. The manager sent up a tray of snack things & water bottles one afternoon!

My husband was able to make up a fruit/chocolate basket on his own with some help from staff in one of the supermarkets, and he brought it to the home of my BIL's friends who had done much to help the family.

I want to thank the wonderful people of Midland; everyone we met or had any business with was so very kind and helpful with everything, and that was without knowing what the situation was, too. If they knew (such as the florist) they were even more so.

I didn't even see that one unpleasant reply; hadn't gone back to my post on this page is quite a while.

Thank you once again, tripadvisor people, and especially thank you to Midland's greatest assets, its wonderful citizens.

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
reviews: 161
9. Re: need Midland info, family crisis

So sorry about your BIL's passing, Timmycat, but I am happy to hear that the good people of Midland helped make this difficult time a little more pleasant. I hope you can come back and visit under better circumstances at some point.

Reply to: need Midland info, family crisis
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Midland