We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

saint paddys day and cheltenham week

Which Playa de las Americas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milford Haven...
reviews: 18
saint paddys day and cheltenham week

Hi all,

going to pdla on 10th to 24th march next yr, staying in barranco apartments, stayed before, so we know wot we are getting (cheap and cheerful)

Love to eat and drink down near las vistas side and gradually head towards los cris on our daily trail.

Will i be able to have a bet somewhere other than that pub near the vista sur (where he makes his own rules up?) i havent seen a bookies whilst we been there before?

Also do the people celebrate paddy's day?

we used to go to benidorm (i just love the old town) and on paddys day its crazy there. everybody dressed up and having a good time, and no trouble. we just sit and people watch.

we have been in the bar owned by the irish man on the way to los cris just up a little side street up a few steps, but dont think we have seen any other irish bars, im sure there are loads.

thanks for your help.

Dawn

Tenerife, Spain
reviews: 77
1. Re: saint paddys day and cheltenham week

You won´t have seen a bookies because betting is illegal so if you have found somewhere that will take bets it is little wonder he makes the rules up as he goes along and if he is reported to the police he faces a €60,000 fine and closing down. It is for this reason that if people do know of bars that take bets they are encourage to send a PM rather than put the name on an open forum where the bar could be reported.

As far as Paddy's Day is concerned it is very big here, and we also get dressed up, most bars are open from early morning with loads of entertainment throughout the day (not just at night) and some give away free Irish stew to go with the Guinness.

redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

Edited: 3:51 am, November 08, 2012
cleethorpes
reviews: 9
2. Re: saint paddys day and cheltenham week

Just like to point out to "everyone" gambling is illegal in Tenerife .Lots of bars are getting massive fines ,so high some have had to close up .with this in mind PLEASE dont say who and where on open forum it really is best to do this via the PM facility .....it will save bar owners from any on the spot calls from the Police!!!

St Patricks Day is a big affair in Tenerife ,lots of bars will have parties and entertainment .there will be many in Irish themed dress staff and management will too.

One or two over the limit local beers and spirits you may see a few "Leprachauns"about !!!!

cleethorpes
3. Re: saint paddys day and cheltenham week

Beaten to it !!! Morning Aguilas ....

Milford Haven...
4. Re: saint paddys day and cheltenham week

thanks for that aguilas,

sorry i did not know it was illegal, i feel terrible now. i should of done more research.

glad to know paddy's day is big, we do not celebrate it, but love the atmosphere, and love to listen to all the irish folk music, and deffo like a propper guiness or three.

i am so very sorry asking about the bookies now, but i truly didnt know.

sorry once again, but thanks for your help

Tenerife, Spain
5. Re: saint paddys day and cheltenham week

Please don´t feel bad about asking you obviously didn´t know, but if anyone now posts a bar name on the thread after the two warnings above then it can only be assumed they hope the bar gets caught. I am sure you will receive several PMs I personally don´t know any bars these days but from other posts there are a lot of people who can say where to find them.

PS: Oneleg, I told you yesterday I am out early this morning so getting a quick TA fix to see me on my way 8)

redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

cleethorpes
6. Re: saint paddys day and cheltenham week

As said via PM ,dont worry about it .

PLEASE FOLKS take heed ,its not nice to name names no matter the grievance with such bars .......

Sorry Miss i forgot you where out today!!! I am staying in with lots of chores ,just hoping lots come on TA with questions .....its my only way out !!!LOL

Milford Haven...
7. Re: saint paddys day and cheltenham week

Thank you both for that. very much appriciated.

On another note. Only been over at xmas and like to eat in what i call local places, so wonder if you can help me.

we often go to this place which is through the tunnel going to los cris to the left where the rest is with the boat outside, up the steps and poss to the right. two women work in there cooking all this food, and then put it on a hot plate and you just walk in take the pan lids off and choose what you would like to eat (dont know the name of it) i really like it there, and seems to be full of locals, and they seem very happy to accept tourists in.

Do you know of any other places like this? we also love tapas bars and have tried quite a lot on the road coming back to pdla from the small place where they serve the spit roasted chicken and canarian potatoes on the one way street near the taxi rank.

cleethorpes
8. Re: saint paddys day and cheltenham week

I dont do steps !!!LOL so i know nothing of this place you mention ,or another like it ,not saying there isnt just i have not found it .

Tapas Places ...i love Rosies bar ,its just round the corner from the Columbus Hotel going past California apts and near to Dream Noelia Sur .Not sure of the menu at a new place just opened near to Rosies called "LAZY DAYS" but i know Aguilas went the other evening so may be able to help ,she a fountain of knowledge so will probably also know the place in Los Cris you mention and any places like this .........as you can see from post 5 shes out at the moment (AGAIN!!) but i am sure she will answer asap

Milford Haven...
9. Re: saint paddys day and cheltenham week

thanks for that i will deffo give rosies a try, it wont be that far from the barranco anyway.

I tell you we find some places, no matter where we go lol, altho it does all revolve around food and drink. this place is amazing, basically what we would call a greasy spoon. red gingham plastic table cloths. b 4 the smoking ban they were cooking with a fag in their gob, just back to basics lol. last yr we went one afternoon and it must of been one of the regulars birthday, i came back from the toilet and this old granny had rob up dancing. shock of my life, as he likes to keep himself to himself free drinks of the sparkling vinegar stuff flying about, but we were included in it all which i thought was great. the 2 ladies could not speak english, nor us spanish (our fault we are too lazy as a nation) all i know is doz vino tinto por favour. its not out of a bottle, just a jug in the fridge, and at a euro a pop you can imagine wot we like after a few lol. oh i do hope we find other places like it. if not we have found a one off and will continue to visit.

we will deffo check out the lazy days place, saw the link today and liked what i saw.

thanks for your continued advise and please humour me when i probably ask the most stupidist of questions in the coming months.

Tenerife, Spain
10. Re: saint paddys day and cheltenham week

Not sure where you were but there are quite a few of that sort of place around if you know where to look.

In Los Cris try Tasca Casa Paco, or Tasca Andaluza and also Tasca de Mi Abuelo Some of these don´t get high rankings in TA reviews only because not many tourists know about them so they are only frequented by locals but once you have been you will come back again and again. Forget the language, just point at what others are having and enjoy. This is what happened to La Gomero opposite the PdlA Police Station, we started saying how good it is on here and all of a sudden it is everybody's favourite traditional restaurant.

http://redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

Get answers to your questions about Playa de las Americas