We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any scams to avoid?

Which Playa del Ingles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hampshire, UK
reviews: 30
Any scams to avoid?

Will be in Maspalomas/Playa Del Ingles in 2 weeks time. Are there any scams I need to avoid or to be aware of. Travelling with my daughter - reallylooking forward to a bit of sun!!

cleethorpes
reviews: 9
1. Re: Any scams to avoid?

Avoid at all costs the Asian Electrical Shops ,there are no bargains ,most are fake tat .And really nasty selling Tactics .Still some "Timeshare Touts aka Holiday Club " sellers about ,dont be fooled by "Your a Winner" when they give you a scratch card ,everyones a winner ,its a ploy to get you up to the complex's to do hard sell time share .........have a great holiday ,just be aware of the warnings given by others too

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 32
2. Re: Any scams to avoid?

We just returned yesterday from 1 week holiday there. It was great and we didn't run into a single scam. Of course we generally just kept walking when someone with a clipboard and story approached us. Most of those were from the restaurants or for tours/activities. The shops, hundreds and hundreds, are pretty much fulled with stuff not worth buying. Especially not any expensive 'brand' names. So its quite easy to avoid scams.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 32
3. Re: Any scams to avoid?

We just returned yesterday from 1 week holiday there. It was great and we didn't run into a single scam. Of course we generally just kept walking when someone with a clipboard and story approached us. Most of those were from the restaurants or for tours/activities. The shops, hundreds and hundreds, are pretty much fulled with stuff not worth buying. Especially not any expensive 'brand' names. So its quite easy to avoid scams.

west midlands
reviews: 71
4. Re: Any scams to avoid?

the african ladies on the promenade are famous on here,trying to put bracelets on your arm and demanding money,they are very well organised and proffessional,if you see one coming towards you,a firm polite no will do,,,,,,dont let any negative points put you off been going for years, back in march cannot wait.as with any tourst destinations,, you have to be sensible and aware of your environment

Edited: 9:51 am, February 11, 2013
Brighton, United...
reviews: 45
5. Re: Any scams to avoid?

I'm here at the moment , not encountered any probs . There seems to be a greatly increased police presense around the Yumbo area from my previous visits. Not encountered one drug dealer or prostitute this time so hopefully they have been scared off (for the moment )

Hampshire, UK
reviews: 30
6. Re: Any scams to avoid?

Thank everyone - very useful info.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 35
7. Re: Any scams to avoid?

Just confirming some above points. Yes, the African women approach you and try to put some cheap, woolen/nylon tat round your wrist, they say they want to read your palm and as they do they tie this on then ask for money. The electrical shops are a bit of a 'mare as the cameras and stuff they sell don't work or are at least the cheapest of the cheap and re-packaged into brand boxes, just ignore them if they try to approach you as you go about your buisness. The scratchcard scam is usually young lads approaching, giving you scratchcards and you'll almost certainly have a winning card. They then ask you to come with them round to an office to "claim" your prize, it's not, it's a hard-sell on timeshare. Apart from all that it's a decent enough place, we enjoyed it and would probably go back again sometime.

devon
reviews: 2
8. Re: Any scams to avoid?

We have recently returned fro pdi and we found the timeshare touts (giving you winning tickets!!!) were outside the yumbo , tropical centre , annexo and lined four abreast on the promenade at maspolomas! Complete pain in the backside. Also looky looky africans selling sunglasses watches and belts although friendly it gets a bit of a pain saying no thanks up to ten times while having your meal!

Added to this every restarant bar none trying to pull you in as you walk past at times in gran canaria it was like running a gauntlet , it didnt spoil our holiday but i dont think we would go back as it just seems at time hassle that you could do without.

Andy

Brighton, United...
reviews: 45
9. Re: Any scams to avoid?

I visit PDI around 5/6 times a year and have to say I very rarely get bothered by the hawkers and touts . Maybe I just have one of those faces that says " don't even think about it" or maybe I just look too poor to buy what they are selling ;)

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
reviews: 42
10. Re: Any scams to avoid?

Not all the Indian shops in the Yumbo are bad. This is the way I bought what has turned out to be a good camera at a good price.

Know as exactly as you can what you want.If you have a model number (I did) that is great.

Know the price in the UK and online

tell the shop keeper you are looking and you have brought no cards nor money with you. I found them quite helpful once they knew I couldn't buy then.

When you have decided go back and this was the difficult part. The camera was fine but they then really pressurized me into buying extras. I confess I bought a safety case which you drop from some enormous height but it had to get to the point of me saying forget it and walking to the door before I got what I wanted. They keep you by unpacking the camera to show you and not repacking it while they go for the hard sell.

The only problem turned out to be that the guarantee said that Gran Canaria was in the USA part of the world and there was no way of registering the purchase. This may have changed because it was five years and hundreds of very good photos ago.

My camera is a Panasonic and if you are worried about forgeries the bad ones have things like Pannasonic or Cannon. The good ones may be OK anyway and even big companies have been caught buying forgeries.

If you are still nervous use Visanta in the Yumbo, catch a bus to Vecindario and use Wortens or Carrefour, go to Las Palmas and use Media Markt or El Corte Ingles.

Get answers to your questions about Playa del Ingles