We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mackers Gran Canaria

Which Playa del Ingles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Mackers Gran Canaria

Was in Playa del Ingles in may this year, stayed at the rui waikki, hotel was poor. Food was terrible, same stuff every night for two weeks, no air con, pathetic excuse for a swimming pool which I could walk the length of without my head goin under water. The bar snacks were the same every day and as for unlimited local drinks, if you did not drink beer vodka gin or rum you were snookered. All inclusive and we spent more money eating & drinking out than we had hoped to. The best thing about the hotel was it was next to a great pub called mackers. Two mins along the road was a friendly Irish bar was great staff and great prices. 1 euro a pint and great prices on food. They had good entertainment at night and we preferred to spend time and money in this great little pub rather than that pathetic excuse for a hotel. If your planning a trip you defo have to drop into mackers, it's located just along from the rui waikki and has the best food & drink prices we found. Staff are great entertainment is great and general atmosphere is great. Planning another trip to PDI in October, going self catering this time and know where our first stop will be. Staff give a warm welcome and best of all remember your name, making you feel welcome - Great little pub

22 replies to this topic
Manchester, United...
reviews: 10
1. Re: Mackers Gran Canaria

Nick, i cant believe you didnt enjoy your stay at the Waikiki i have just arrived home a few weeks ago and could not fault it.

Glasgow, United...
2. Re: Mackers Gran Canaria

Well glad you had a good time pal, but our time there really was awful. Everything from the food, the entertainment and the rules! it was not the best hotel I have stayed in thats for sure, but glad some one enjoyed the Waikki lol

Greenock, United...
3. Re: Mackers Gran Canaria

I came across Mackers sister pub,O'learys in the Irish Centre and at 1 euro apint i had found my watering hole for the fortnight,Aiden the barman is a true gent and friend.It has 3 pool tables and a computer that blasts out any tune you care to mention free of charge.On hearing about Mackers from Aiden i thought i would see if it was as good and,it was,if not better.Rachael who owns both pubs is friendly and a delight to talk to,a welcoming Scottish accent from Jim who does the PR outside bacame a friend for life and being on my own for the last week a friend was just what i needed.June,Laura and mad Sarah always had a smile and were prefect hosts,Kenny the chef always had time for a few pints at the end of a shift bacame a mate too.Regular Dave the Hat who works and lives there was always a friend every day to share many a beer with.All in all Mackers Bar is the best wee pub in PDI.Thanks to Jim,Kenny and the girls for making my last night so memorable,and i'll definately be going back........sooner than you think,ive just become redundant from my job and myself and Fiona will becoming back at the end of August to live and try to get work.....SO,see you all soon...xx Paul Doc

Leicester, United...
reviews: 5
4. Re: Mackers Gran Canaria

Found this place on our first day, had breakfast for 3 days.

first 2 days ok

last time was not good

over 50 minute wait for a breakfast, seemed the staff were all still drunk and still drinking and this clearly affected quality and speed,

we waited for ours, but witnesed at least 5 couples arrive then after 10 minutes of no service walk 200 yards up the precent to the english pub,

Shame, as the owner was lovely, as is the chap who pr's in the day.

let down by others

The nightly entertainment was ok. nothing special

Feel sorry for the dj working with one speaker, chatting to herself because no one could here anything outside.

The quiz took for ages. but bingo was a laugh.

there was a drag act which was good, very very blue and not for the faint hearted.

but the place seriously needs cleaning and doing up.

theres wires everywhere and looks like a building site inside.

another bug bare for me is the toilets.

mens was disgusting,

no hand towels, toilet roll wet through and no soap!

we might be blokes but some of us like hygiene

for a e1.00 a pint its ok

just dont expect to much

Edited: 10:49 am, October 03, 2012
London, England
reviews: 60
5. Re: Mackers Gran Canaria

nick s

You've already posted this previously. RIU are considered one of the best hotl chains in Spain, so find it hard to believe what you say. The Waikiki is one of the first hotels to have been built in PDI, but has been completely refurbished by RIU.

Advertising a business is against TA rules.

kent
reviews: 7
6. Re: Mackers Gran Canaria

Mackers,the only place where you have to wipe your feet on the way out!

Dublin, Ireland
7. Re: Mackers Gran Canaria

I was in Mackers several times between 23rd and 30th October. The most memorable time was for the Chelsea V Man Utd match. I had the Sunday roast while other family members had either the Chicken or the Beef. All, to a man, really enjoyed the food. The waiting staff were friendly and helpful and the €1 pint was a good lager. (The price went up by 25c due to the Spanish budget while we were there, no fault of the owners). The quiz was o.k. but the drag show was hilarious. The decor is minimal and looks chaotic but I found the place clean. (I found most bars on the Island to be shabby in terms of decor-the Yumbo centre has plenty of examples). The toilets were basic but very clean. I would say a decent pub with excellent food at the wk/end.

reviews: 1
8. Re: Mackers Gran Canaria

Mackers bar was excellent. it was our saving grace during our holiday as our hotel served an awful breakfast. we ate here a few times for breakfast and were never dissapointed. friendly staff excellent service and yummy well priced delicious food. thank you mackers

Middlesbrough...
reviews: 3
9. Re: Mackers Gran Canaria

just spent a week in the riu flamingo,next door to mackers.we were self catering so we had breakfast in mackers every day.superb food,superb service. did the sunday sesh while the footy was on,had the roast dinner,again,superb food and service.far superior to that dump on the next block,big bens.

wexford ireland
reviews: 18
10. Re: Mackers Gran Canaria

spent a week in Playa del inglais, in February 2012, place was buzzing as it was carnival time. In Centro Jardin Del Sol, stumbled on an Irish bar called "Mackers" lots of outdoor seating as well as occasional live music, quiz

, Guinness and Beef Stew was on menu, delicious, beer €1.30 a pint, choice of several brands, large spirit and mixer €3.50 . Being from Ireland was novelty to buy round of drinks and use coins from pocket for several. Served by genuine Irish girl " Sarah"n from Tralee, (our lost rose) The owner is a Galway Girl and gave helpful advice regarding various topics. A very relaxed place, Chef seemed to be always cleaning his stainless steel kitchen, called following day to watch Ireland and Scotland rugby, 3 football matches racing and rugby all in one bar with their own areas. was always a good place to meet Irish, English or Scotttie people for a chat, Most of the regulars were more like family there than customers. Place could do with a make over but then recessionary times make it difficult. worth stumbling in to and more likely you will end up stumbling out.

Reply to: Mackers Gran Canaria
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Playa del Ingles