We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overbooking at Hotels in Santa Ponsa

Which Santa Ponsa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bolton, United...
reviews: 42
Overbooking at Hotels in Santa Ponsa

I've read a lot of stories on other threads about hotels being overbooked and people having to be moved to other hotels for at least a night of their holiday. I can't for the life of me understand why hotels would do this. It's not rocket science to know exactly how many rooms they have and stick to that number at the busy times

I'm a bit worried as I'm going to Club Santa Ponsa in a week or so

Huddersfield...
reviews: 9
1. Re: Overbooking at Hotels in Santa Ponsa

I'm there a few days after you and starting to have similar worries - particularly as I would imagine a hotel would feel that it's better to mess a solo traveller around than a family, disappointing just one person rather than several.

Bolton, United...
2. Re: Overbooking at Hotels in Santa Ponsa

Exactly Steve. You should look forward to a stress free holiday, not be worrying what's going to happen when you get to the hotel. I am a bit paranoid now after getting a really poor room in Portals Nous last year. I think solo travellers are still treated like 2nd class citizens by many hotels. That's totally out of order

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Santa Ponsa
reviews: 76
3. Re: Overbooking at Hotels in Santa Ponsa

There aren't any single rooms in Club Santa Ponsa, so no worries about the single rooms being over the boiler room or like a cupboard! They are all either studios or one bedroom apartments. Unfortunately I know they do overbook though. Maybe better to book directly with the hotel.

Bolton, United...
4. Re: Overbooking at Hotels in Santa Ponsa

That's more or less what I ended up with in Portals Nous Annabelle. I have thought about booking direct before (discussed on another thread) but you don't get the same ATOL/ABTA protection.

My main question is WHY do the hotels overbook? It's not like they are ever going to get that many cancellations

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Santa Ponsa
reviews: 76
5. Re: Overbooking at Hotels in Santa Ponsa

They must get no shows, or they wouldn't overbook. And at least with Club Santa Ponsa, if you book direct with the hotel you don't pay till you arrive. That was very useful to me the year of the ash cloud, although I know travel insurance would have covered me, as I hadn't paid, I didn't even have to worry about that, just emailed the hotel and told them I wasn't coming!

Huddersfield...
6. Re: Overbooking at Hotels in Santa Ponsa

Part of the issue is that when you book with somebody like Travel Republic or similar (I name them simply because that's who I've booked with rather than to single them out) they book with another agent (Miranda Y Penaranda S.A.) rather than with the hotel directly. So that's three organisations who have the opportunity to screw things up for you!

Bolton, United...
7. Re: Overbooking at Hotels in Santa Ponsa

That's a very good point Steve. I hadn't considered that. Maybe Annabelle is right and we are better off going direct to the hotels. After all it's not as if you get a holiday rep on site with Travel Republic or other online agents. Incidentally I have also booked this on with them and emailed them several times, so they won't forget about me. I'll look forward to seeing you at the hotel

Caimari, Mallorca
reviews: 13
8. Re: Overbooking at Hotels in Santa Ponsa

Hotels typically overbook because large travel operators such as Thomas Cook reserve an allocation of rooms which they then can "release back" to the hotels up to a month before arrival. Therefore hotels count on some of this allocation being released and overbook - call it greed or an operational reality depends on your POV. Although this model is changing somewhat now (hotel allocations feed straight into the hotels reservation system so you are booking a real room when you book online via expedia, fe), but cancellations, no shows and the fact that often as a hotel you cant change your occupancy fast enough can make it difficult. Booking direct would, imho, make you more likely to be assured a room (its much harder for the hotel to deny responsibility and hence move you if its only been a communication between them and you). There are other good reasons to book direct as well...

Huddersfield...
9. Re: Overbooking at Hotels in Santa Ponsa

My heart sank when a couple on the same transfer coach as me were put in a taxi to another hotel when they checked in.

Thankfully my room was ok and I'm currently enjoying an all inclusive cerveza - the first of many!

Bolton, United...
10. Re: Overbooking at Hotels in Santa Ponsa

I bet that was panic stations for a moment there Steve. I actually rang Club Santa Ponsa today, just to give them another push in the right direction room wise.

I'm sooooooo jealous!!!! Well I'll see you on Friday. I should get to the hotel around 12ish. Have that Cerveza ready

Get answers to your questions about Santa Ponsa