We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Benalmadena

Which Benalmadena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester
reviews: 18
Christmas in Benalmadena

Im considering booking a holiday including Xmas day in this resort that I have never visited before. We would have 2 x 15 year olds with us. If we stayed self catering would we find somewhere for Xmas dinner or would a hotel be better? Would there be enough to do to fill a week as I don't expect we will be able to do much sunbathing at this time of year. Any tips or advice would be gratefully received, many thanks in advance.

30 replies to this topic
Arroyo de la Miel...
reviews: 59
1. Re: Christmas in Benalmadena

Xmas day meals depends on wether you want Turkey & Tinsel or Spanish fare really. Xmas Eve sees most Spanish bars/restaurants close quite early for a family meal together. Xmas day most Spanish bars are open as normal with normal prices. For British fare expect to pay a large premium on price and the need to prebook. Boxing day is not a recognised holiday in Spain so everything open as normal. Most of the tourist attractions are open, although on reduced openings. Public transport tuns very close to normal timetables too. Supermarkets close Xmas eve afternoon and reopen 26th as normal, so no problem self catering.

this will be our third xmas in Spain, last 2 were quite warm too, sunny and dry.

Arroyo de la Miel...
reviews: 150
2. Re: Christmas in Benalmadena

A few suggestions to keep two 15year olds and their parents/guardians occupied and happy, play games on the beach (weather permitting), (we even have fun on wet days too!), hire a Segway for a trip round the marina, wander round Paloma Park, hire a four seater bike, use the exercise equipment and see who can do the best, take a trip up the mountain in a cable car, watch a fabulous bird show at the summit (check the timetable), go feed a crocodile at the crocodile park at Torremolinos, have a day trip to Fuengirola and visit the BioParc (zoo). Malaga in December (even any time of the year) is a vibrant city to visit, the Christmas decorations are magnificent. Go and see a local Christmas Carol concert, join in singing, the tunes are the same! Even a trip to Gibraltar can be an enjoyable day out too, some people like it, others don't, but go and see for yourselves!

Christmas Eve is when the Spanish celebrate (as do many European countries), fish is usually the main dish. However, children receive presents on 6th January (Epiphany). Tows and cities have processions with floats, bands and entertainers on 5th January where sweets/gifts are thrown to the crowds - it is a great atmosphere.

As Mantalk has said the shops don't really close for long, and Boxing Day/St Stephen's Day is not celebrated in Spain.

If you book a Hotel, half board, you say find a 'Gala Dinner' is served on 24 December. If you decide to go self catering you have the choice to cook in your accommodation, or choose to book a table for your party at some of the Hotels or one of the many restaurants. Some restaurants charge normal prices, whilst others do special Christmas Day menus.

We too shall be in Benalmádena ths Christmas, before heading off for a well earned holiday in the New Year. Over the years we've spent Christmas Day in Hotels, been to friends, ate in restaurants, stayed at home, had friends over, so no two years have been the same recently, so you have plenty of choice.

The weather in December can be quite pleasant, but pack a mac just in case, and a sweater/cardi for the evenings as temperatures can be cooler.

Hope you come and see what Benalmádena is like and what it has to offer and you have a great time!

Manchester
3. Re: Christmas in Benalmadena

Thanks for taking the time out to reply, much appreciated

Manchester
4. Re: Christmas in Benalmadena

Thanks for your reply, very tempted to book !!

Edited: 3:39 pm, September 17, 2013
Leeds
reviews: 26
5. Re: Christmas in Benalmadena

Hi,I say go for it and book,dont think you will regret it.This will be our 6th year in benalmadena this year and we love it,we stay at the sunset beach club and we book Christmas dinner there,its great with entertainment as well.

The last 2 years the weather has been fab,about 19-21 degrees!!!

Our son is 12 now and he loves it still.

Hope this helps a bit.

Manchester
6. Re: Christmas in Benalmadena

I was looking at the Sunset Beach club myself but was a bit more tempted by the Benalmadena Palace & Spa as there is an indoor pool. However the Sunset Beach looks a better position and not up a hill lol. You must love it if you have been for the last 6 years !! Do you book half board a the the Sunset Beach as that option does not seem available on their own web site? Thanks for replying

Leeds
7. Re: Christmas in Benalmadena

Hi there, stayed at the benalmadena palace 3 times before we went to sunset beach,and I have to say sunset beach wins hands down for us,the staff the food the views are great.

They don't do half board only bed and breakfast,but they are self catering apartments.

Christmas day gala meal last year was about 115 euros for 3 of us and it included all your drinks as well,a bargain considering what you would pay in England.

Hope this helps a bit.

Manchester
8. Re: Christmas in Benalmadena

Thanks for the info I just need to persuade my other half now ! You never know we just might see you there, I will listen out for a Leeds accent!!

Uphall...
reviews: 1
9. Re: Christmas in Benalmadena

Hi there, I have just booked to go to Sunset Beach Club 21st Dec to 28th Dec. 4 of us,never been to Benalmadena before but fancied something different for Christmas really lookin forward to it.

Leeds
10. Re: Christmas in Benalmadena

Yer you may see us, we are having 3 days in torremolinos first this year,then we will be moving to the sunset beach on Christmas eve till the 28th dec.

Reply to: Christmas in Benalmadena
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted