We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lone female traveller - 'young' 50 something

Which Benalmadena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Durham, United...
Lone female traveller - 'young' 50 something

As a single mum, I have spent some enjoyable holidays with my son (staying Jupiter/Minerva). However, now an 18 year old university student, he now feels 'too old' to go on holiday with mum - there is no one else I would choose to spend my 2 weeks in the sun with! Due to work, my holidays need to be taken in school holidays.

I have some Jet2 points and still want to get some sun on my bones. I prefer to dine in the evening - is there anywhere that is 'safe' and I would feel comfitable? Living on my own and hundreds of miles from family, I am well used to my own company, but also enjoy a bit of 'atmosphere'.

Lennoxtown
reviews: 2
1. Re: Lone female traveller - 'young' 50 something

Hi Marion

Since you have posted this on the Benalmadena forum I guess you are thinking about staying on the coast. I have no experience of staying on the Costa del Sol on my own as I prefer los pueblos blancos inland. My husband and I spend two weeks each year on the Costa de la Luz just south of Cádiz city, when he goes home to work I stay on but move inland. I am not actually on my own as I have our son with us, he has Down's Syndrome and is 23 years old.

I rent a house in the small town of Olvera which is a two hour drive from Málaga and we stay there for two weeks in the summer then a further two weeks in October. I have made nice friends in the town, some are ex-pat from various countries (it is a small ex-pat community) others are Spanish neighbours, people always stop to talk, ask you where you are from, etc. Over the last three years people have got used to seeing me/us around even if it is for only two weeks at a time and I now feel quite at home in Olvera. I can honestly say I have never felt under threat in any way. I can come and go as I please, I have a car and we dot about from here to there and back again exploring and this includes trips to Cádiz city and Sevilla. I have on occasion got myself lost and have had to ask my way when my SatNav has had me going around in circles. I speak a small amount of Spanish and can make myself understood (present tense only) although I often have difficulty with the answer as the locals speak so very fast.

Perhaps others can give you advice about being on the coast, I can honestly say that if my son did not want to stay on in Spain with me or was not with us for whatever reason I would still be happy to do what I currently do.

Saludos. Lindsay

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
reviews: 50
2. Re: Lone female traveller - 'young' 50 something

I've not travelled on my own in Spain but have been with my girlfriend and my daughter a few times and we never felt uncomfortable or threatened and had wonderful holidays.

Will you be relying on public transport or will you be hiring a car and exploring the areas? If you will be relying on public transport then I would stay somewhere in the Torremolinos-Fuengirola area, if you've got a car then you could go further afield and look at places like Nerja or inland like Lindsay does.

If you want to stay on the coast have a look at La Carihuela, or La Cala for lovely small villages with great beaches and restaurants. We stay at Sitio de Calahonda which is further up towards Marbella but its not as Spanish as the other places and so is possible not what you are looking for but there are lots of bars and restaurants (my favourite ever restaurant is there!) and it is also close to Puerto Cabopino which has a wonderful beach.

There are lots of alternatives all along the coast it just depends on what you are look for.

England
3. Re: Lone female traveller - 'young' 50 something

I frequently stay at our apartment on my own in Benalmadena..I feel comfortable during the day and eating out alone in the evening usually someone ends up talking to me or even the owners.I Walk back in the dark and feel unthreatened.Lots of people will have a chat to you if you want them to

So go for it.

Ches

Durham, United...
4. Re: Lone female traveller - 'young' 50 something

Thanks ladies ... I am a danger in a car in England - so it WILL be public transport! We have stayed in Benalmadena, often walking to Arroyo for evenings (more spanish). As long as I have a good pool/beach/shops/walks during the day I will be fine - it was the evenings I was more concerned about ...

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
reviews: 50
5. Re: Lone female traveller - 'young' 50 something

La Carihuela would be good for you then, shops, bars and restaurants and in between Benalmadena and Torremolinos with the paseo between which gives a lovely walk during the day.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
reviews: 4
6. Re: Lone female traveller - 'young' 50 something

I'd suggest La Carihuela too, you can walk along to Benalmádena Costa during the day and feel safe in La Carihuela village in the evenings as the village is always crowded. Also, if you fancy a drinky or two in the evenings you will never feel out of place on your own in chiringuitos such as Playa Miguel or El Horno Beach.

Edited: 7:30 am, December 07, 2012
Durham, United...
7. Re: Lone female traveller - 'young' 50 something

It would seem that La Carihuela would be ideal - I've been on a day trip to Torremolinos (which I wasn't too impressed with, but in fairness it was about 7 years ago) but not La Carihuela- am I right that there is a train station there? Now just need to check holidaylettings/owner direct for a suitable apartment!

Many thanks ladies- I can show this to my son who thinks I'm too dizzy/will get lost etc to reassure him I will OK

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
reviews: 4
8. Re: Lone female traveller - 'young' 50 something

Montemar-Alto station is up above La Carihuela, it's about a ten minute walk down to the village, longer back up!

Some good studios and apartments for singles and couples at:

www.lacarihuela.com

Edited: 9:23 am, December 07, 2012
Lennoxtown
9. Re: Lone female traveller - 'young' 50 something

Have a great time Marion, come back and let us know how you get on with your first solo venture.

Lindsay

10. Re: Lone female traveller - 'young' 50 something

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, December 17, 2013