We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow Chains for hire car - slush fund!

Which Les Menuires hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
PLYMOUTH UK
reviews: 7
Snow Chains for hire car - slush fund!

I'm hiring a car from Lyon and driving to Les Menuires in half term week. To hire snow chains from the Hire Car provider was going to cost me 80 Euros so I've declined as I think that's a complete ripoff.

I read somewhere that the hirers charge for snow chains as a bit of a slush fund (pun intended) and that the chains will be in the boot whether you pay for them or not. Anyone got any experience?

I'm taking a chance and crossing my fingers they'll be in boot but if they're not then I'll probably buy a set for cheaper than 80 euros in a hypermarche .... But where? Any ideas? If unused I might take them back to the shop on return.

It's tempting to buy a set before I go but I won't know the hire cars wheel size.

Perhaps I should bite the bullet and pay the 80 euros ... It's just I hate being ripped off.

2 replies to this topic
London, United...
reviews: 1
1. Re: Snow Chains for hire car - slush fund!

Although I haven't looked for them in a long while the Carrefour in Moutiers did sell them, (they have a large non food section) and if you returned them unopened you could ask for a refund. You could also try the other large supermarkets on route e.g Geant and SuperU in Albertville.

Meribel, France
2. Re: Snow Chains for hire car - slush fund!

Feu Verte is a car accessory chain . On the same entrance from the dual carriageway as the supermarket in Albertville . (There's a 90kmh speed camera 500 m. further on ) . You are required by law to have chains in certain regions - and you may well need them for Les Menuires .

If your lucky enough to find them in the hire car , make sure they are the correct size and not broken.

The chance of a refund is slim , its been tried before .

Most places will exchange purchases for the correct size of unused chains and have notices to that effect .

Whatever, chains may prevent from having a bump and paying excess on the hire car but more importantly someone getting hurt .

Reply to: Snow Chains for hire car - slush fund!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted