We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route to Alps from Calais via Paris or Reims please?

Which Macot-la-Plagne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
York, United Kingdom
Best route to Alps from Calais via Paris or Reims please?

Hi

Driving to Alps this year and two sites give different directions from the tunnel at Calais. The tom tom site suggests going south via Reims whereas the RAC site suggests going very close to Paris.

I wondered which people thought was the best. We want to go the quickest way regardless of paying tolls.

Thanks in advance.

England
reviews: 21
1. Re: Best route to Alps from Calais via Paris or Reims please?

We now always go via Reims when travelling to the South Eastern parts of France on the motorways. It's possible to go close to Paris, but we've encountered congestion on the two occasions we tried.

You may find this website which gives traffic conditions helpful:

…gouv.fr/en/rubrique.php3…

York, United Kingdom
2. Re: Best route to Alps from Calais via Paris or Reims please?

Thank you very much someone else has just recommended the Reims route as well. I thought there might be possible traffic problems with Paris and also probably a little harder keeping our eyes on road signs etc.

Have a great Christmas.

England
reviews: 21
3. Re: Best route to Alps from Calais via Paris or Reims please?

Glad to have helped a bit, and thank you for coming back :)

Have a great Christmas too.

Avignon, France
Destination Expert
for Avignon
reviews: 76
4. Re: Best route to Alps from Calais via Paris or Reims please?

I also recommend the route which passes close to Reims, which we use for 3 return journeys each year. We gave up going via Paris several years ago.

The route via Reims cchanged a few months ago when the new part of autoroute opened; some GPS systems may show you as driving across a field on the new route - our's does!

Bucks, UK
reviews: 5
5. Re: Best route to Alps from Calais via Paris or Reims please?

Reims always. It's much quicker and easier to navigate and the new bypass, although no friend of older satnavs, as gardengirlie points out, shaves a good 15 minutes off what was already a quick journey.

I've never used the TomTom routeplanner, but www.viamichelin.co.uk is the one I would use for trips in most of continental Europe. It also has links to hotels en route, which can be v.useful. When calculating your journey time, add time for fuel and rest breaks, and don't forget the autoroute speed limit is only 110kph if it's raining. If it rains all the way down, that can add a good 1.5 hours to the normal journey time.

Guildford, England
reviews: 11
6. Re: Best route to Alps from Calais via Paris or Reims please?

Another vote for the Reims route. I haven't gone via Paris for over 15 years.

7. Re: Best route to Alps from Calais via Paris or Reims please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, January 05, 2013