We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we pay € 20 extra for a full Paradiski lift pass?

Which Macot-la-Plagne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Forest National...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
reviews: 91
Should we pay € 20 extra for a full Paradiski lift pass?

Hi,

We are staying in the Vancouver Hotel in Plagne Soleil for a week from 12th March. We have intermediate / higher intermediate/ lower advanced skiiers in our group.

Looking to buy our lift passes in advance with skiholidayextras.com, as I believe they deliver them to your hotel ready for your arrival.

This is our first holiday in this ski area, so we were thinking of buying the Discovery pass for one day in Les Arcs, spending the other 5 days in La Plagne area.

However, with the rather poor snow conditions this year, is Les Arcs doing better than La Plagne area? The difference in price between a Discovery Pass and full Paradiski pass is € 20.

We are used to skiing the Grand Valira area in Andorra, covering 5 resorts, but not sure how this compares size wise with La Plagne area.

I would appreciate any comments or advice.

Thanks.

22 replies to this topic
northamptonshire
1. Re: Should we pay € 20 extra for a full Paradiski lift pass?

Hi,

For more information on La Plagne try the link below, it also has some web cam shots to see the current conditions....

http://www.laplagnet.com/webcam.php

I must admit I have been staying in Bourg-St-Maurice every year for the last 7 or 8 years now and have only skied La Plagne maybe once as the Les Arcs area has plenty to slake my skiing needs.

The La Plagne ski area alone covers approximately 225km ( 150miles) of pistes and maybe as much again in off-piste so if your group is only skiing for a single week I would think a weeks pass for La Plagne with a days skiing in Les Arcs should be more than enough.

If you decide you would like another day in Les Arcs you can buy a single return ticket for the cable car.

For a good idea of weather forecasts if you go to the J2SKI website ( it's totally free to use) the weather and snow report section is pretty accurate.

The snow conditions are pretty good at the minute in Les Arcs/La Plagne with a cold front across the region all this week and with fresh snow forecast so I wouldn't worry too much about the conditions. I am out in Les Arcs myself from the 30th March for a week and am expecting great conditions.

Although La Plagne and Les Arcs share the same ski area ( Paradiski) the resorts can experience different weather patterns in the last few years both have had very good snow depths and cold weather, with perhaps a Plagne the better of the two.

Hope some of this helps, and have an enjoyable safe trip.

Jon.

northamptonshire
2. Re: Should we pay € 20 extra for a full Paradiski lift pass?

Hi Again,

Here are the current La Plagne and Paradiski lift pass prices for the 2010/2011 season just so you can double check the prices you have....

alpshack.com/pages/laplagne-paradiski-lift-p…

All the best again.

Jon.

Guildford, England
reviews: 13
3. Re: Should we pay € 20 extra for a full Paradiski lift pass?

Although skiing is generally agreed to be better on the Les Arcs side I would say just do one day over on the discovery pass. From where you are it takes a few runs to get to the other side and then a few runs to really get into Les Arcs.

Wave to me as you pass Vallandry :)

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
4. Re: Should we pay € 20 extra for a full Paradiski lift pass?

Thank you both for your helpful replies. My husband is going skiing in Les Arcs a fornight later with our younger son and some friends ( dads and sons trip - no mums allowed! ), so he would prefer to explore La Plagne area in our week apart from the one day in Les Arcs to see what it is like there.

I wasn't sure how long it took, or how easy to get to the Express cable car to Les Arcs from Plagne Soleil.

We are all higher Intermediate / lower advanced apart from one, who is quite a nervous skiier and does not go very fast, so we will be going at her pace. It sounds like La Plagne is a good area for her? She needs confidence- inspiring slopes, nothing difficult, blues and easy reds.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
5. Re: Should we pay € 20 extra for a full Paradiski lift pass?

Lift Passes for this area seem to cost the same on different websites, I don't think you can get discounted prices online as you can with some other resorts.

Thanks for the Alp Shack link jonG - I was looking at skiholidayextras.com as we have used them before, and they are connected to Ski France, who we are booked with through Igluski.com ( who got us a very good deal by the way, much cheaper than in the brochures, and better flight times for us. )

skiholidayextras deliver the passes to your hotel.

Have you any idea in skiing time, how long it would take an average intermediate skiier to get to the Vanoise Express from the Vancouver Hotel?

I know it is a vague question, but just an idea would help, as I don't have a clue! Are we looking at 30 mins or 2 hours??!

Edited: 8:10 am, March 01, 2011
New Forest National...
Destination Expert
6. Re: Should we pay € 20 extra for a full Paradiski lift pass?

JBart - tell me what you will be wearing, and I will look out for you!!!

Norwich
reviews: 7
7. Re: Should we pay € 20 extra for a full Paradiski lift pass?

From Plan Soleil you can get to the Vanoise express very quickly (20 mins I would say) The Vanoise Express takes about 10 mins, so for just a 30 mins trip you can get to Les Arc.

There is lots of area to ski in La Plagne, but it's nice to go over to Les Arc for a day. We went before the recent new snowfall (about 2 weeks ago) and the snow was actually better on La Plagne side of the valley. The first big ski area you come to is Vallendry and many of the lower slopes down to that resort were closed, leaving just the long road Blue/Green open.

We paid the extra €20 and had a good day out, but one day was enough.

For good value, if you eat on the slopes I strongly suggest you buy a snowcard. This means you can eat at about 15 different restaurants and get a meal, and a drink, and sometimes tea or coffee as well, for €11 per person. Saved us lots!!!

Guildford, England
reviews: 13
8. Re: Should we pay € 20 extra for a full Paradiski lift pass?

Just for information Aigle should remain open down to Vallandry as it has snow cannons on it.

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
9. Re: Should we pay € 20 extra for a full Paradiski lift pass?

Thank you for the information regarding skiing time/ distance and also about the snowcard - I had not heard about that.

Where do you buy these cards from please?

northamptonshire
10. Re: Should we pay € 20 extra for a full Paradiski lift pass?

Hi JB,

It's been a while, I hope you are well...

I didn't know you had moved to Vallandry , or are you there on your hols?, if I had known I would give you a wave each time I go by :)

All the best

Jon.

Reply to: Should we pay € 20 extra for a full Paradiski lift pass?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted