We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clipper House Inn for Labor Day

Which Kemah hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Louisiana
reviews: 2
Clipper House Inn for Labor Day

Long story short....we have a reservation at the Clipper House Inn for Labor Day weekend that we can't use and can't cancel. I will pass on a good deal if anyone is willing to take over the reservation.

http://clipperhouseinn.com/

2 replies to this topic
houston
reviews: 1
1. Re: Clipper House Inn for Labor Day

did you find anyone?

Louisiana
reviews: 2
2. Re: Clipper House Inn for Labor Day

No we did not. Here is our story.

We made a reservation for the two-room Challenge suite and then needed to cancel it because our party grew and we had too many people for the room. The cancellation policy is 14 days and when I called 12 days out, we were told there was nothing they could do. They would not cancel the reservation, or give us a deal on another room, or give us a smaller room and refund the difference. No flexibility at all on their cancellation policy. That's their right as the policy is clearly stated in their confirmation email and it was a holiday weekend. However, I would expect that a business that survives on good word of mouth to want to work with a new customer and be a little more helpful. But they didn't and they were entirely within their right not to.

The only thing they could offer was if we cancelled and they were able to re-book the room, they would refund most of our money. I asked if we cancel and they are not able to re-book, could we still stay in the room. We were coming to the area anyway and having to get regular hotel rooms but if our suite at Clipper House went unrented and they were keeping our money anyway, I saw no reason why we should not be allowed to put part of our party in the room. At first, Barbara did not want to allow this, but after I insisted that she talk to the owner about it, she did agree to it.

We kept an eye on the website, watching as one by one, all of the other rooms at the inn except The Challenge Suite (the one we had cancelled) and The Great Republic were booked. On the Thursday and Friday before we arrived, I had people call to ask if rooms at the inn were available and Barbara told them repeatedly that the ONLY room they had available was The Great Republic, never mentioning The Challenge Suite until someone specifically asked about it. I regret not calling as soon as I heard that ONLY the Great Republic was available and demanding that my money be refunded as surely the Challenge Suite must have been re-booked???

But I didn't. I waited as late as possible on the day of our reservation and of course, the Challenge Suite was the only one on the property not booked, so we checked in there rather than losing the $400 we had already paid and put the rest of our party at a hotel a mile away. The room was nice, however, there was cat poop all in the grass outside the cottage so it smelled like a sewer every time we went in and out of the room. The bar across the street played live music that sounded like it was in our bedroom until midnight. The "breakfast" was three slices of cake, some banana bread and some fruit put in our room the night before. The leg on one of the chairs in the room was broken when we arrived. The thermostat for the AC is in the other room in the cottage and we did not have access to it.

I could have been like 95% of the world and just snuck in our extra person and let him sleep on the floor, where there was plenty of space. But no. I was honest about it, thinking that the innkeeper would be glad that I respected their business enough not to risk their business license by putting them over the fire code capacity. I thought that they might actually try to re-book the room. Obviously not.

If you plan to stay here, be very sure of your plans as they are not flexible in their cancellation policy at all and will mislead people to ensure they keep your money. Be prepared to eat breakfast elsewhere, and if you plan on getting any sleep on the weekend, bring your earplugs.

Reply to: Clipper House Inn for Labor Day
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kemah
More Kemah Topics