We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way from Bush International to downtown?

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rhode Island
reviews: 2
Best way from Bush International to downtown?

Just got booked on a last minute business trip to Houston and I'm staying at the Lancaster Hotel on Texas Avenue. Looks like it might have been closer to fly into Hobbs, but I'm coming from Bush.

I don't really need to rent a car for my stay since I'll be working so close by, but if I don't, is there any mass transit from the airport to the downtown area? How much would a cab cost?

Rhode Island
1. Re: Best way from Bush International to downtown?

Also, is that a safe part of the city for a woman at night? Will it be deserted or are there good options for restaurants, etc.

Rhode Island
2. Re: Best way from Bush International to downtown?

Also, is that a safe part of the city for a woman at night? Will it be deserted or are there good options for restaurants, etc.

Spring/Houston, TX
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 102
3. Re: Best way from Bush International to downtown?

Lots of activity in the area, you should be okay, and this is a very nice hotel. www.thelancasterhouston.com for more information on restaurants and such. There is not any mass transit from the airports here. A cab would be the way to go, since you will not be renting. Or, you could contact the hotel concierge to arrange a private car pick up with an outside company.

Washington DC...
reviews: 24
4. Re: Best way from Bush International to downtown?

The Lancaster is a nice hotel near the theater district (in the theater district). If you have time, check out the half-price tickets for shows playing while you are there. There's a ticket both at the Hobby Center. Lots of restaurants and the area is getting better all the time. Houston can look a little rough around the edges, but for the most part people pretty much leave you alone if you carry yourself with a bit of confidence. You might encounter a homeless person or two, but it will be pretty busy with people coming and going. Unfortunately, not much shopping or coffee type hangouts downtown.

The airport is about 15 miles north of downtown. You are in a nice hotel, so ask them for suggestions. They might have a shuttle, or there might be a downtown shuttle. Car rental is pretty reasonable in Houston, but keep in mind that you will also have to pay for parking. Good luck.

Houston
reviews: 13
5. Re: Best way from Bush International to downtown?

Downtown in the theatre district is fairly safe because it is a busier area. Some parts of downtown can be a bit deserted and therefore more dicey for a woman alone. However, that said, please use your common sense and intution, especially at night, and stay in the areas where you see a lot of people. If it starts looking a bit desolate then I would turn around and head back toward the more crowded areas.

Houston
reviews: 13
6. Re: Best way from Bush International to downtown?

There isn't any shopping downtown only restaurants and nightclubs, however if during the weekday - there is an underground tunnel system under the hi-rise bldgs. that will have little restaurants, gift shops, etc. It is only open on workdays. That's always safe -- but easy to get lost in, even for Houstonians. Sometimes people walk around a bit and then take an escalator up to street level to see where they are and to get their bearings straight.

7. Re: Best way from Bush International to downtown?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, August 14, 2009