We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do after Rice University tour?

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
What to do after Rice University tour?

Hi - I'm coming with my daughter to look at rice university the first weekend in April. We are staying at the marriott courtyard medical center near the university until Sunday morning. Thanks! Any suggestions of what to do and where to eat after our tour or Saturday evening?

Bennington, Vermont
1. Re: What to do after Rice University tour?

My son is a freshman at Rice. We've only been to Houston a few times but have enjoyed walking around Rice Village -- just a couple of blocks from Campus. The museum district is nice. So is the Galleria Mall if you like shopping. If you like fajitas, Lupe Tortilla Mexica Restaurant is really good. The Village has several very good restaurants, too.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 209
2. Re: What to do after Rice University tour?

Lisa--

Gary T is right about Rice Village a/k/a "The Village", as it's within walking distance of the campus, and has lots of charm, along with a wide variety of restaurants. Also nearby your hotel (just two stops north on the MetroRail line) is the Museum District, as also mentioned by Gary: http://houstonmuseumdistrict.org/

One of our favorite restaurants in town is Hugo's, serving heart-of-Mexico cuisine, not too far from your hotel: http://hugosrestaurant.net/ If you're going to eat there for dinner, make reservations at least a week in advance. Lunch is usually not a problem, but Sunday brunch is always impossible to get reservations.

If you need recommendations for restaurants in The Village, let us know what type food you'd like, and we'll be glad to give you all sorts of recommendations. By the way, congratulations on your daughter being accepted into Rice--it's a great school!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 52
3. Re: What to do after Rice University tour?

There are so many quaint restaurants in and around Rice Village - so finding something for Sat eve Sun morning is not going to be an issue - and the places I have eaten are all good. The one place that sticks out is a few metro stops away (HCC stop) called the Sparrow. It is worth a half an hour drive - so well worth a 3 or 4 stop on the light rail.

Sat night if the weather is nice you might want to go for a free concert at the Miller Outdoor Theater. As it gets closer they will update the events calendar so you will know what is playing. Other than that you have the art gallery at Rice, The Zoo, other museums (Menil is always free).

New York City, New...
4. Re: What to do after Rice University tour?

Thanks for the information. The Museum district looks terrific. We'll def try and spend some time there.

Gary t - how does your son like rice?

Gene t - we are from nyc so we pretty much eat anything so any other restaurant I recommendations would be great - although Hugo's looks terrific though so we may go with that unless you have other favorites. (Btw my daughter is not in rice yet - she's a junior but rice is at the top of her list so we are checking it out).

Kingwood 1811 - thanks for the outdoor concert info. That sounds fabulous. We've been cooped up all winter so the prospect of spending an evening outdoors sounds lovely.

Thanks again!

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 209
5. Re: What to do after Rice University tour?

Lisa--

Since you're from NYC, I was trrying to give you the type restaurant you wouldn't likely run into in your city. My son lives in Manhattan, and when he comes here, he goes for Vietnamese, Mexican and BBQ as his primary food groups.

While not "authentic" Vietnamese, try Vietopia (it's somewhat Americanized, but delicious, and not too far from where you're staying). It's more upscale than the more authentic places, but certainly not expensive. Hugo's is true heart-of-Mexico Mexican. Most people will recommend Tex-Mex, our version of northern Mexican border food, and everyone has his favorite (ours is Cyclone Anaya's on Woodway @ Augusta). For BBQ, the closest one to you that I'd recommend would be Pizzitola's on Shepherd. (Gatlin's is actually better, but it's essentially open only for lunch, and you have to arrive at least 1-1.5 hours ahead of time to be assured of getting food, as they run out.) If you like seafood, Goode Co. Seafood on Westpark makes some great moderately-priced Gulf seafood (I do not, however, recommend the Goode Co. BBQ, which is drastically overpriced IMHO.)

If you're looking for fine dining, try either Mockingbird Bistro or Masraff's--they're two of our favorites. (There are plenty more, by the way.) Just let us know what you like. I promise we are not a culinary desert. A word of caution about most restaurants in Texas--they make sure you don't go away hungry...portions are usually quite large!

Welcome to Texas!

Edited: 1:21 pm, March 01, 2014
Bennington, Vermont
6. Re: What to do after Rice University tour?

He LOVES it. He has made some great friends and has taken full advantage of all Rice and Houston have to offer. We had a few reservations about sending him to Houston from small town Vermont. But our concerns were alleviated after our first visit last April. The campus and surrounding Houston neighborhood are beautiful. He knew the moment he stepped on campus that Rice was the place for him. Good luck to your daughter. Enjoy your visit. We're heading down for a few days in mid-April and are looking forward to it.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 316
7. Re: What to do after Rice University tour?

Hi Lisa,

You all might enjoy the Cockrell Butterfly Center, which is within the HMNS:

www.hmns.org/index.php…

Head to lunch at Tiny Boxwoods:

tinyboxwoods.com/tiny_boxwoods/home.html

The setting at TB is so relaxing, the food is good, and it is just made for lingering over dessert, and enjoying time together!

Rice is a wonderful school, and I hope your daughter will come to love Houston!

cc,

Cupcake

New York City, New...
8. Re: What to do after Rice University tour?

Thanks everyone. We're looking forward to our trip. Fingers crossed she gets accepted. She's loved everything she's heard about the school. :)

Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 316
9. Re: What to do after Rice University tour?

Hi Lisa,

Rice is a wonderful school, one of my brothers got his undergrad degree there. Let us know how your visit goes, and best of luck to your daughter!

cc,

cupcake

New York City, New...
10. Re: What to do after Rice University tour?

Thanks everyone!