We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10-hour layover in Texas....suggestions on what to do?

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Canada
reviews: 24
10-hour layover in Texas....suggestions on what to do?

I have a ten-hour, overnight layover in Houston, Texas and since I like to make good use of any time I have in a new place, I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on anything I might be able to do while I am there....I realize most things like museums and restaurants and shops will be closed but are there any all-night cafes, nightime bus tours, taxi tours, relaxing lounges or safe landmarks or sightseeing areas I could see....Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 157
1. Re: 10-hour layover in Texas....suggestions on what to do?

Andrea--

Houston has to abide by state liquor laws, which means the bars serving liquor, beer and wines must close by 2:00 AM. As a result, most of the night life really closes down by then, although there are a handful of late-night clubs that will be open serving coffee and food later.

Assuming you're flying into/out of IAH (the large airport), it's about 20+ miles north of the cener of the city, and can easily be a 35-45 minute trip in the morning returning there from downtown, so make sure to allow yourself enough time.

Not being a "night person", I can't give you specific places for after-hours clubs, but I'm sure others can. Generally speaking, though, Houston pretty well shuts down by about 2:00 AM.

Welcome to Texas, and have "a g'day" while you're here.

Houston, TX
reviews: 25
2. Re: 10-hour layover in Texas....suggestions on what to do?

It would help if you could give us the day of the week you will be here, plus your actual arrival and departure times. it's hard to tell from your post if you have already factored in time to take care of all the airport things--baggage claim, possibly immigration and customs if you are arriving on an international flight, etc as well as check-in and security the next day for your onward flight. Also, are you planning to sleep while you are here?

Getting around anywhere will be time consuming and costly, as our public transportation system isn't the best, especially in the night time hours. If you want to leave the airport area and you don't want to rent a car, you would have to rely on taxis, which could be problematic for your return to IAH, depending on your timeline.

Kingwood, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 41
3. Re: 10-hour layover in Texas....suggestions on what to do?

It all depends on the time you arrive and depart. Say you arrive at 8:00p and depart at 6:00a. Then you can take a taxi and go to the Galleria Mall (my preference) or to The Woodlands. Both places have shops (that will close at 10:00p), restaurants / bars/ cofee shops etc. all within walking distance (also if at the Galleria - the water wall). That said, by the time you go through customs and immigration and get to the Galleria, it will be close to 10:00p and the mall (shops) will be closing. The taxi will be about $60.00+ and another $60.00+ to return.

The best option will be to see if you can get (buy) a day pass to the United lounge and stay in the lounge. I think most of the cafes and restaurants within the airport close around 11:00 or 12:00 too.

4. Re: 10-hour layover in Texas....suggestions on what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 20, 2014