We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A question from a Brit!........Corpus Christi from IAH

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 24
A question from a Brit!........Corpus Christi from IAH

Good morning Houston!

I wanted to vacation with my family whilst in Houston and Galveston seems a bit pricey (end of March for 10 nights) in a condo and I have seen someone suggest the above who said it was only 2 hours from IAH but "google" says 4 hours.

Who is correct?

For us Brits, 4 hours seems too long compared to 1.5 hrs to Galveston.

If it is 4 hours, could any of you kind folk suggest anywhere else?

Texas city for example(haven't got a clue what that's like!

We don't mind a 30 minute drive to the beach etc?

Many thanks

Cheers

Spring/Houston, TX
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 93
1. Re: A question from a Brit!........Corpus Christi from IAH

Corpus Christi is easily 4 hours, that is without stopping along the way. Galveston is about an hour, hour and a half.

Most places along the beaches are going to be pricey because it is Spring Break for most people.

You might get a better deal if you stay mid-week in Galveston.

Texas City would be a short drive into Galveston, but I wouldn't stay in Texas City your whole 10 days, it just isn't close to enough things you'd be visiting.

What do you plan to visit in these 10 days, maybe we can help with another location, while not in Galveston.

The only thing better about Corpus is that the water and sand are prettier, and the water is usually warmer.

Welcome to Texas!!

London, United...
2. Re: A question from a Brit!........Corpus Christi from IAH

Wow!

I can't believe I got a reply so quick....that is very kind of you to take the trouble!

Basically I'll be free from the last Friday in March for 10 days and just wanted to spend time on a beach in the morning, then hit the pool in the afternoon.

Going to a few local restaurants and eating in some nights (hence the condo idea).

Nothing upscale but clean.

Prepared to drive 30 mins to the beach...got 2 kids.

looking forward to relaxing really....any help or advice would be most appreciated as never been to Texas before.....looking forward to it though.....

Thank you so much for your time and trouble.

Cheers

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
reviews: 62
3. Re: A question from a Brit!........Corpus Christi from IAH

You can do it in about 3.5 hours if Houston traffic is nice to you (rarely). Once you get out of the Houston area it is very smooth sailing all the way into Corpus Christi. For us here in Texas, 3.5 hour drives are what we do on our lunch breaks!!!

Enjoy Texas. If you choose Corpus Christi/Port Aransas let me know how I can help.

Kingwood, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 49
4. Re: A question from a Brit!........Corpus Christi from IAH

Port A is about 4+ hours away - close to Corpus. Even though it sounds like a long drive break journey and it will be worth it. Also Port A is better than Corpus. You have condos on the beach - when you walk out the door it is sand. From Port A you can do day trips to Corpus.

If you still don't want to make the drive and stay close to Galveston find some lodging in the Clear Lake area. It is about 30 mts drive to Galveston.

London, United...
5. Re: A question from a Brit!........Corpus Christi from IAH

Looks like Galveston area or surrounding areas then....4 hours then a 11 hour flight to London with kids won't be a pleasure!

Cheers!

Spring/Houston, TX
Destination Expert
for Houston
6. Re: A question from a Brit!........Corpus Christi from IAH

How old are your kids? Galveston has lots to offer the whole family.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 194
7. Re: A question from a Brit!........Corpus Christi from IAH

Cashbox--

To be more specific, I'm not certain how Google was sending you from IAH to Galveston that would take anywhere near 4 hours, but if you take Beltway 8 headed east (a toll road very near the airport) all the way to I-45, at which point you'll turn south onto I-45 for about 20-25 miles into Galveston, and the entire trip should take no more than 1.25 hours or so. Perhaps someone could give you a good idea of the toll fees using that route, as I don't have a clue. It should be a very easy drive, however.

London, United...
8. Re: A question from a Brit!........Corpus Christi from IAH

Hi knr. They are 10 + 12.

Gene T....it was to corpus christi that took 4 hours

Edited: 6:14 pm, February 16, 2013
Spring/Houston, TX
Destination Expert
for Houston
9. Re: A question from a Brit!........Corpus Christi from IAH

Schlitterbahn water park and Pleasure Pier (amusement park) are great things for kids in Galveston.

Park your car and ride the ferry to Bolivar Peninsula and back...this is free and enjoyable. You will get on faster if you park and ride vs taking your car on the ferry. Bring some bread to feed the seagulls.

Visit the historical buildings, like Bishop's Palace and Moody Mansion.

Take a self-guided driving tour of the tree sculptures. After Hurricane Ike, a sculptor came and carved these trees from the fallen Live Oak trees that graced the island. http://www.galveston.com/treesculpturetour/

Be sure and stop for ice cream and candy at La King's Confectionary on The Strand. A good restaurant also at the Strand is The Gumbo Bar.

The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo runs thru March 16th, if you'll be here that early. This is very popular and fun to see. Here is a link: http://hlsr.com/Concerts.aspx

Edited: 9:23 pm, February 16, 2013
Katy, Texas
reviews: 2
10. Re: A question from a Brit!........Corpus Christi from IAH

DEFINITELY recommend Galveston over Corpus any day of the week, and thats coming from a kid that *loves* the beach and loves corpus

(ok i'm 25 but i act like a 10 year old when i vacay)

Galveston has tons more to offer and honestly the condos there are overpriced, when we go we chill in a hotel and do just fine. spring break here is march 11-22 (schools alternate which week to release) so galveston and other beach towns up their prices, a hotel would likely be quieter than a condo, but no guarantee, but you WOULD get a free breakfast in the morning ;) haha

In galveston I'd suggest:

-Moody Gardens Aquarium or Rainforest pyramid or both, i cant get enough of either

-also pleasure pier, and Fishtales right across the street from it for some GREAT food

- yelp has great reviews of a lot of other restaurants as well :)

-The Strand is an area of old galveston thats as beautiful to walk through as it is to shop/eat/play in (check out La Kings sweet shop while you're there!)

- Murdocks is a tourist shop/patio bar that is a destination in and of itself!!

Corpus-

>Texas state aquarium

>u.s.s. lexington (only fun if you're a hard core history buff, or under the age of 10)

>restaurants (yelp.com)

>shopping… last time i went shopping there (last year and the year before) a lot of the quiet little shops had been killed by the latest hurricane… so even after searching I couldn't find the cute little shopping/walking area beachtowns are usually famous for, except for annoying touristy shops that all sold the same things :\

>beach

Port a- not much else to do….

> beach