We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacationing in Houston

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lagos
Vacationing in Houston

My husband and I are thinking of spending 8days in Houston. We are Nigerians and will like advise on which destination airports, the available options are HOU or IAH. I would also appreciate advice on fun things we can do during our stay. Thank you

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 53
1. Re: Vacationing in Houston

IAH is the international airport so you most probably arrive at IAH. Lot of things to do in Houston - let us know what your interests are and also which month.

Lagos
2. Re: Vacationing in Houston

From Lagos, Nigeria we have the option of arriving at HOU or IAH . I need to know which of the airports is better for us to arrive at. We intend to be around during the last week in March. Things of interest for me will be shopping and a good hotel while my husband will prefer things like zoo, adult scary rides, good scenery and a bubbling Saturday night life.

Thank you

Houston, Texas
reviews: 1
3. Re: Vacationing in Houston

Either airport is really fine. IAH is the larger one and north of downtown. HOU is smaller and south of downtown. HOU is closer to downtown. If you're interested in shopping and a good hotel, The Galleria is probably where you'll want to be. It's about 15 minutes away from the zoo, too, so your husband will be happy. For scenery, there's not that much other than flat land and a downtown skyline, but if you head south down to Galveston you'll bump into the Gulf of Mexico. Too bad you're coming the last week of March -- you'll miss the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.

Lagos
4. Re: Vacationing in Houston

Thank you

Houston
reviews: 6
5. Re: Vacationing in Houston

Before you come to visit, or when you arrive, see if you can get a Texas Travel Tour Guide.

These are great for picking close-by excursions and make it easy to see what is around and available. (We just went to Dallas/Ft Worth this week and ours from last year finally fell apart - just in time to order a new one for this year. )

Houston has a significant Negerian population. You might check with your friends and co-workers to see if there are any tips that any of them (or their friends) can suggest that might be of special interest to you.

Scenery is a biggie for this time of year because our wildflowers are usually blooming like crazy. Our family always plans a trip to Austin or San Antonio (or San Marcos to go the the Wonder Cave or whatever) to enjoy the ride as well as the destination. Each of those is about 4 hours away, give or take.

For rides, Kemah is probably the best option. It is a touristy place with lots of restaurants and live music to enjoy in the evenings. There are themed things that go on out there, too. They have a speed boat called "The Beast" that is much more thrilling for those near the back and on the side and more tame for those seated next to the center aisle. I would recommend this in the late afternoon, then dinner, more rides if you want, and enjoy relaxing and people watching while listening to some music. This is always a winner for us. (Be aware--the wooden roller coaster will beat you to death. )

Lagos
6. Re: Vacationing in Houston

Thank you so much. We decided to visit NewYork city . Hopefully, we would enjoy our vacation there.

We still have to sort out things like hotel and places to visit during the 9 day visit.

7. Re: Vacationing in Houston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 01, 2014