We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 hour layover in IAH

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
RIo de Janeiro
12 hour layover in IAH

I have a 12 hour layover on a saturday in IAH and would like to use that time to go shopping since I now live in Brazil.

I have seen some reviews about Deerbrook Mall saying it wasn't safe. Is it really not safe? I would arrive at around 10 in the morning and leave at around 5-6 in the afternoon just to be safe for my flight.

Would I be better off spending double the amount of money and go to Willowbrook? The stores I need are in both mall locators...

Is it easy to grab a taxi on my way back to the airport from these two malls?

thanks guys!

Kingwood, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 47
1. Re: 12 hour layover in IAH

It is Greenspoint that is not safe. Deerbrook, although has have had a few incidents, is pretty safe.

RIo de Janeiro
2. Re: 12 hour layover in IAH

Thanks for the info!

And what about getting a taxi there to go back to the airport? is it easy? or do I need to call to get one?

Kingwood, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 47
3. Re: 12 hour layover in IAH

You will need to call as they do not have a taxi stand at the Mall. What you can do is to see if the guy who is going to bring you from the airport is willing to pick you up. If so, get the number and call when you are ready. If not Yellow Cab is (713) 236-1111.

Austin, Texas
reviews: 3
4. Re: 12 hour layover in IAH

Yes, Kingwood is correct, you will have to call for a cab.

Be sure to allow "enough wiggle room" to get back to your flight. Houston traffic can get very, very bad. If there is a wreck on cabbies route that also makes it bad. Just my 2 cents!!

RIo de Janeiro
5. Re: 12 hour layover in IAH

Thanks so much for all the information!

6. Re: 12 hour layover in IAH

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, December 18, 2013