We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off Airport Rental - IAH

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
Off Airport Rental - IAH

Trying to escape the high airport rentals -- what are some off airport rental locations that are easily accessible?

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 194
1. Re: Off Airport Rental - IAH

As far as I know, they're all pretty competitive. Have you tried anything like Kayak.com or one of the other similar search engines? IAH is pretty remote, so you may end up fairly distant from the oddball cheap rental agency you may (or may not) find, and then you're faced with the problem of getting to the agency and back from it after you drop off the vehicle.

Sorry I can't be more help to you, but a little searching might turn up something. Good luck.

Atlanta, GA
2. Re: Off Airport Rental - IAH

Yes, I have. I'm consistently finding prices in the $40's for a compact car rental. I've got to rent from 12/24 to 12/27 but this ridulous! I've looked at Costco, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity and Kayak. I've got a reservation but it's the fees that are driving the price. $70 plus -- yikes!

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 194
3. Re: Off Airport Rental - IAH

A good part of that is probably our taxes, which are VERY high on car rentals. For some reason or another, our city leaders really stick it to our visitors on car rentals and hotel rooms--even though the base rates aren't that high, by the time you pay the taxes, the overall rate gets up there in a hurry. Sorry, but that's probably about what you're going to find all over.

Years ago there was an outfit called Rent-A-Heap Cheap. They bought old cars and rented them out at much lower prices, but I don't know if they're still in business. They are highly unlikely to be anywhere near the airport if they are still in business.

Good luck, and Happy Holidays!

Kingwood, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 49
4. Re: Off Airport Rental - IAH

Enterprise in one that will actually come and pick you up. I know they have a location in Greenspoint and 2 or 3 on 1960. The rates ar about the same buy at least you will avoid the taxes.

Other than that try hotmail or kayak, Tripadvisor etc.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 299
5. Re: Off Airport Rental - IAH

Hi,

Try finding discount codes, etc to use at www.fatwallet.com. You can often "stack" the codes, and use what they calls CDP's and PC's both.

There are no "off airport" rentals near IAH that you would'nt be taking a taxi to. Bu the time you pay a taxi, you have eaten up your savings. Plus, you will need to taxi Back to the airport, when you return the car.

Hope you can find some good codes!

cc,

Cupcake

Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 299
6. Re: Off Airport Rental - IAH

Hi,

Also try this "Lock Low and Go" option:

http://www.dollar.com/Cars/LockLowGo.aspx

We have used this, and usually get a full sized car, for a great rate!

7. Re: Off Airport Rental - IAH

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 18, 2013