We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for family friendly restaurant in downtown or EaDo

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas!
reviews: 10
Looking for family friendly restaurant in downtown or EaDo

A group of up to 22 is coming into town for a soccer game at the Dynamo Stadium and we are looking for somewhere to eat before the 7:30 pm game. It will be a weekday evening if that makes any difference. I am looking for a variety of places to offer everyone. I have already suggested Spaghetti Warehouse, the original Ninfas and the Aquarium. Any other suggestions for a group of families with mostly 13 year old girls? I would also like to know what would be the best time to aim to eat, we will be driving in from out of town, although some are planning on coming earlier in the afternoon.

Thanks (soccer team mom)

Austin, Texas
reviews: 6
1. Re: Looking for family friendly restaurant in downtown or EaDo

Kim Son at 2001 Jefferson is 10 blocks from the stadium and has huge dining room to accomodate your group. Might be fun to order different items and eat family style.

http://www.kimsonrestaurants.com

and the Houston Center office building has food court or individual small food venues with their own seating. Everything from salads, vegeterian to BBQ and Starbucks all in one area:

www.shopsathc.com/stores/store-directory.asp

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
reviews: 64
2. Re: Looking for family friendly restaurant in downtown or EaDo

I would think that time to eat would be determined by game time. Backing from 7:30 game. Arrive at field half an hour before game time - 7:00 Allow 15 minutes to half an hour drive time - 6:30. Allow an hour and a half to eat (large party plus some time to digest - brings me to 5:00.

Parking in the downtown area may be a hassle. I might aim for something further away, along an interstate, in a shopping center. You could also eat earlier that way. May be of benefit to players.

Kingwood, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 52
3. Re: Looking for family friendly restaurant in downtown or EaDo

I too will go with Kim Son. Parking is also easy. If looking for burgers etc. then The Grove (a little pricey than Kim Son). I cannot recall if Grove validates parking - I think they do have valet. Both are about a mile away from the stadium.

Texas!
reviews: 10
4. Re: Looking for family friendly restaurant in downtown or EaDo

I will add Kim Son to the list of suggestions. Since everyone is coming into downtown at different times, I thought it would be best if we ate there as opposed to somewhere along the way. The girls aren't playing, just going to watch a game with team mates and families. Thank you, everyone, for your comments.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 313
5. Re: Looking for family friendly restaurant in downtown or EaDo

Hi,

We ate at Kim Son recently, and were just not impressed; food was bland and off temperature.

Maybe Niko Niko's would work?

http://www.nikonikos.com/

Amazing gyros, fries, Greek platters with moussaka (Greek mac n cheese!) and spinach pie, chicken souvlaki, and more. The portions are very big, and you can easily share. I think the teens would especially like it! They also have Greek desserts.

Hope you all have a great time at the game!

cc,

Cupcake

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
reviews: 64
6. Re: Looking for family friendly restaurant in downtown or EaDo

I like Niko Niko's, too.

Houston, Texas
7. Re: Looking for family friendly restaurant in downtown or EaDo

Phonecia has a grocery deli and a sit down restaurant. You can eat your grocery deli purchases at tables and booths on site. Lots of variety

phoeniciafoods.com/locations/downtown-market/

8. Re: Looking for family friendly restaurant in downtown or EaDo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, December 17, 2013