We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Houston Christmas Visit

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 6
Houston Christmas Visit

Hello,

I will be in Houston over the Christmas Holiday. Will be staying downtown either at Zsa Zsa or Magnolia. I will need to get out to Kingwood on Christmas Eve and Day and was wondering how long of a drive it is or even if there is any kind of bus service. Just don't want to impose on people bringing me back and forth to Kingwood from downtown.

Thanks in advance!

Spring/Houston, TX
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 94
1. Re: Houston Christmas Visit

I would not recommend bus service, even if it's available. Since you are needing to get to Kingwood for 2 days, I would say rent a car, it's an easy drive up Highway 59 and will be alot cheaper than a taxi/limo service.

Without traffic, I would say the drive is 40-50 minutes.

Kingwood, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 47
2. Re: Houston Christmas Visit

Why not stay at Homewood Suites in Kingwood for at least those two days? It is about a half hour drive to 59 & Kingwood Drive. Then depending on what part of Kingwood it can be 2 mts to 20 mts.

As stated above rental car would be the best. The only public transport to Kingwood is the Park & Ride and it will not be running on Christmas Day and might be a limited run on Christmas eve.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 180
3. Re: Houston Christmas Visit

I'm in full agreement with the two Destination Experts about not trying to take public transportation, especially during the holidays. Additionally, the ZaZa is about 6-7 miles south of downtown, very near the Medical Center, while the Magnolia is in the heart of downtown. I'd imagine downtown will probably be pretty dead at that time, although some of the restaurants and bars may be open.

In the area near the ZaZa, you'd need to take a cab or a rental car to get to any restaurants, bars, etc., for there's nothing anywhere near there except the museum district, and I'd assume they'll be shut down at that time, as well. Have you considered staying in/near The Galleria, where there's always something going on? (The drive is probably 30 minutes to the "entrance" to Kingwood without traffic, and there shouldn't be a lot at that time.)

Edited: 4:30 pm, December 05, 2012
Houston, Texas
reviews: 26
4. Re: Houston Christmas Visit

I imagine you are flying into Bush Airport and Kingwood is very near there. Why are you staying way down near downtown when you could just stay near Kingwood? Just a thought.

5. Re: Houston Christmas Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, December 17, 2013