We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

solo female and carless in Houston

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Beijing
solo female and carless in Houston

I am a solo female traveller planning to spend 2 days in Houston during a stop over. I like art, parks and good food. Shopping and sports are NOT a priority. If I do not drive, what is the safest and cost effective way to get around? How possible is it to stay at downtown, use the MetroRail (I saw a map which has the sights along the route) to visit sights along the route without transfers and major expense with using cabs? Thanks much

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 178
1. Re: solo female and carless in Houston

The MetroRail runs from downtown directly to the museum district (several museums are close enough together that they are definitely within walking distance of one another), and the museum district is very close to Hermann Park, one of Houston's major parks. None of these sites will require you to transfer to another bus, train or other vehicle.

As far as good food, you're not going to find a lot of restaurants in the museum district, but downtown has a number of them. If you want alternatives, not too far from downtown are areas such as lower Montrose, Washington Avenue, or even Kirby Drive, all of which would require either a cab or a shuttle bus service whose name escapes me, but will take you anywhere roughly inside the I-610 Loop, if memory serves me correct. I'm sure one of the Destination Experts can provide you the name of that service.

Have fun!

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 178
2. Re: solo female and carless in Houston

I just went through some old forum postings, and the transportation service I mentioned earlier is referred to as "The Wave". You might try looking it up on Google or Bing (or the search engine of your choice) by just typing in "The Wave + Houston", and it should give you all the details. It's fairly inexpensive and fairly efficient, from what I can tell.

Kingwood, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 45
3. Re: solo female and carless in Houston

The best would be to rent a car. If not, stay downtown and take the light rail to the museum district. You can also take the metro bus to Galleria area where you will find a lot of restaurants. Ridemetro .org is the web site for the bus schedule.

Beijing
4. Re: solo female and carless in Houston

Thanks Gene T and Kingwood 1811. I feel more confident about doing the stop over now that I know I can get to the museum district and park fairly easily without a car myself which is probably what I can realistically do for 2 days.

5. Re: solo female and carless in Houston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, December 17, 2013