We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JW Marriott by Galleria or Hotel Sorella?

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hot Springs...
reviews: 15
JW Marriott by Galleria or Hotel Sorella?

Never been to Houston, just trying to look at map and decide which hotel will be most "convenient". Will be shopping at Galleria but also utilizing amenities at CityCentre. Already have Sorella booked. Thinking of changing. Thoughts?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 52
1. Re: JW Marriott by Galleria or Hotel Sorella?

Personally I would go to a Galleria area hotel i.e. JWM as it is more central. From JWM you can walk to so many places. From Sollera you will pretty much have to drive and you are right in the middle of I-10 and Sam Houston (8). Not that 610 and Westheimer is not busy, but at least you can walk across the street if you had to.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 209
2. Re: JW Marriott by Galleria or Hotel Sorella?

I totally agree with Kingwood1811. Galleria area has much bigger selection of restaurants, bars, closer to entertainment. Sorella is in an area that is surrounded by retail stores you must walk to or drive to, and parking in City Centre can be a nightmare, with parking being not only expensive, but if you park in the wrong area, can cause you to be towed.

Houston, Texas
3. Re: JW Marriott by Galleria or Hotel Sorella?

Well.....Parking in the CityCentre garages is free. There are several shopping choices within walking distance and the dining options are great! Live music and nightlife is also within citycentre. The walking distance is truly just steps away and way more convenient.....Hotel Sorella is a much better choice!!!! You were correct on your first instinct! Don't change it!

Houston, TX
reviews: 35
4. Re: JW Marriott by Galleria or Hotel Sorella?

Sorella for sure. Far more hip location (and safer) with lots of dining options and shopping.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 209
5. Re: JW Marriott by Galleria or Hotel Sorella?

In all due respect to srlaries, I'd say both areas are pretty safe--not much to worry about in either place.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 316
6. Re: JW Marriott by Galleria or Hotel Sorella?

Hi,

We enjoy everything located within walking distance to the Hotel Sorella; good bars and restaurants located, literally, downstairs, at street level. The Sorella itself, is sleek, has great decor,and is very relaxing. Personally, it's very different than the Marriott,so a new experience, which you might enjoy.

I also like the Memorial City Mall and other shopping nearby, and the movie theater close-by,, as well. While I enjoy the Galleria, I can do it for a day, and I'm done. I'd say that The Sorella and surrounding area is better to getting to more, within walking distance, and is not as crazy busy at the Galleria area.

Defintely go to the Galleria to shop and eat ,maybe at the Cheesecake Factory, and park across the street at the big Dillard's store (free), shop there, and then walk across into Neiman-Marcus,and the you are in the Galleria, from there.

This might help you find a good deal:

dealbase.com/Houston/Hotel-Sorella-CITYCENTR…

enjoy H-town!,

cc,

Cupcake

Houston, Texas
7. Re: JW Marriott by Galleria or Hotel Sorella?

The Galleria location since you will find stores & nice restaurants just a walking distance. There is a very nice Italian restaurant called Maggiano's just across the street from the Galleria Mall. Also, Five Guys burgers, etc.

I hope this helps,

8. Re: JW Marriott by Galleria or Hotel Sorella?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, November 04, 2013