We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advantage Rental Car Hobby Airport - rates not worth it

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
dfw
reviews: 4
Advantage Rental Car Hobby Airport - rates not worth it

II have rented from Advantage rental car at Hobby airport because they generally have the lowest rates. It is not worth it. You ride the Parking spot 2 van which seemed to be running infrequently. They take you to their office which is a mobile home in a remote parking lot (not theirs). None of that is really that bad if the bus is running often. My first issue is that Advantage charges you the prepaid fuel option even if you do not want it. When you return the car, you must present a receipt to show you filled the car and THEN they remove the prepaid option fee. However, instead of being done with your rental when you turn in the car, you have to go back to the Advantage car rental counter at the airport, however they route you to yet another Advantage counter. When I went over to the correct Advantage counter to get the prepaid fee removed, they said I see that you were an hour overdue returning the car. Apparently, at the mobile home office they do no updates to your reservation/bill so by the time I got over to the airport counter it appeared I was late to return my rental. I got the guy to remove the fee and the alleged late by 1 hour fee since there is travel time required to get to the airport from the mobile home and time to get to the correct Advantage counter. The extra time all this took just to turn in a car and get a correct receipt is not worth it. I will never rent from them again.

7 replies to this topic
1. Re: Advantage Rental Car Hobby Airport - rates not worth it

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:31 am, December 06, 2012
Edited: 2:31 am, December 06, 2012

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
reviews: 53
2. Re: Advantage Rental Car Hobby Airport - rates not worth it

That does seem not very "customer friendly" There are lots of other companies. We just rented from Enterprise at Hobby. We were able to choose the bring it back full option. However, when we picked up the car it was at about 7/8 full. We stopped, the staff noted it and said that we could bring it back half full. I returned it with about 3/4 full and everyone was happy. They spent a few dollars on gas and are getting lots of advertising from me.

Hope your next rental experience is better.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 256
3. Re: Advantage Rental Car Hobby Airport - rates not worth it

We've used both Alamo and Enterprise and have a car booked again with Enterprise in mid December- no complaints about either company.

Pensacola
reviews: 51
4. Re: Advantage Rental Car Hobby Airport - rates not worth it

I agree. Just had my first experience with them and it was a nightmare. I felt completely fooled by there "fuzzy math". First of all, the three people at the counter near baggage claim were all feverishly working on the two computers. How much work is required to rent a dang car? There was a problem with their system, we waited for 20 minutes, I was given this huge two page contract with all these numbers.....I wanted an economy car for two days but my amount charged to my card was over $350.00. On top of that, the car was booked and paid for by my office through Orbitz, it should have all been arranged, I should check-in, get my keys, jump in my car and go. No, not here. I had to clarify why the charges are so high, drag my stuff to the shuttle, bounce around a huge lot that take people to their personal cars and then drop us rental people at the mobile home. They didn't even do a car inspection. Oh, and since I was a few hours early than the listed pickup time on Orbitz....I was charged for that time too. When I returned the car it was pure bedlam in the parking lot. Multiple people returning cars seemed to overwhelm the two guys working there. I couldn't tell if one of the guys even worked there, dark glasses, cap, regular clothes, just not the image you normally see in a rental car company. I returned to the airport via shuttle and went to their counter again near baggage claim. The same people were there, their system was down, AGAIN, and we all waited. I just wanted clarification on my charges to make sure I wasn't being taken for a sucker. It is not worth the few dollars of savings, really, the whole experience was like borrowing a car from a neighbor that you don't even like. Go to a larger company, it will be faster, happier, no hassles and professional, none of which happen at this place. Avoid at all costs.

Edited: 10:20 am, January 29, 2013
st pete fl
reviews: 1
5. Re: Advantage Rental Car Hobby Airport - rates not worth it

I didn't get as far in the process as you did and I am thankful. I arrived at Hobby on February 5 with a reservation and was told to take a seat and they hoped to have a car available in "45 minutes or an hour or so". I looked behind me to see five or six resigned people sitting there waiting for the theoretical (and promised) reserved car. I am pretty sure that a "reservation" means that they have a car for you because you "reserved" it, not that they would be glad to rent you one if someone else has not rented before you get there. Fortunately Budget was next door (although at a much higher and more typical price) and I was able to avoid the nightmares you all have experienced. Be warned.

Sugar Land, Texas
reviews: 14
6. Re: Advantage Rental Car Hobby Airport - rates not worth it

Bad experience here also. I called the hobby location & was informed full size cars will have XM radio. I reserved a full size vehicle and was given a "newer model" a VW passant. There was no XM radio, none of the lighter plugs were operating therefore no phone charger. I have a small business and phone access is essential. When I returned the car informed them of the problem no credit or compensation was offered.

Rent elsewhere.

Houston, Texas
7. Re: Advantage Rental Car Hobby Airport - rates not worth it

Terrible experience. Family vacation planned ruined by poor customer service and failure to communicate to customer.

A reservation was made a week in advance and no cars were available upon pickup. 10 other people waiting for hours for available cars when I showed up!!! UNACCEPTABLE!! There is no Advantage renting from this company.

If you want a poor customer experience and wait hours on end hoping to get a rental from this company, good luck!

Reply to: Advantage Rental Car Hobby Airport - rates not worth it
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted