We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants near Sam Houston Race Park

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina
reviews: 33
Restaurants near Sam Houston Race Park

We will be driving in from Austin to go to the cirque du soleil show at the Sam Houston Race Track next Sunday. I was hoping to find a good , local restaurant close by or on route where we can stop to have an early lunch before the 1pm show. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Houston, TX
1. Re: Restaurants near Sam Houston Race Park

There's not a lot of restaurants right along Beltway 8, which is definitely your easiest route to the race track. I am assuming you'll be coming in on 290? That would be your best route, IMHO. I've taken 71 from Houston to Austin, but that's more for the folks near Katy on the west side of town. 290 will put you in the best location to get to SHRP.

There are a lot of restaurants at the Spring Cypress exit out in Cypress when you first get into Houston. Alicia's Mexican is pretty good. It's at 290 and Cypress Rosehill. aliciasmexicangrille.com/index.php…

Spring Creek Barbecue (chain out of Dallas, I think?) is on the SW side of 290 at Spring Cypress.

springcreekbarbeque.com/houston_cypress.htm

There's a Cheddar's in that area, also On the Border, and Chili's, and I think maybe Friday's...pretty much all the usual chains.

Close in, near Telge is Carl's Barbecue, but I think Austin has better. At the FM 1960 exit there is a Chuy's, Texas Roadhouse, Goode & Company Barbecue, Harris County Barbecue, and Chili's. Also, Johnny Carino's, and Genghis Grill. Genghis Grill is pretty good and a little different. It's Mongolian Barbecue where you put all your stuff (meat and lots of veggies and sauce) in a bowl and they cook it on a big round grill. Sort of Asian, but not exactly. I like it.

Hopefully you have a toll tag or Texas tag. Beltway 8 is the way to go to the racetrack. If you don't have a tag, you can pay at a toll booth.

http://www.genghisgrill.com/index.php

There is a Sam Houston Steakhouse that's on the Beltway pretty near the race track. I have heard it's pretty decent and has lots of Texas memorabelia that's pretty cool. I haven't eaten there.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 52
2. Re: Restaurants near Sam Houston Race Park

290 and 1960 you will find several restaurants (as mentioned above). That is on the way and easy to get in and out. Goode Co BBQ is a good option.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 11
3. Re: Restaurants near Sam Houston Race Park

I highly, highly recommmend Steamboat House. It looks sterile on the outside, but the environment is quite different inside.

http://www.steamboathousetx.com/

Spring/Houston, TX
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 102
4. Re: Restaurants near Sam Houston Race Park

Highway 290 at FM1960 is probably your best option, lots to choose from fast food to sit down. The stretch of Beltway 8 in this section doesn't have alot of restaurants, except for the Sam Houston restaurant mentioned earlier (they may be dinner only) and some deli like restaurants. There is a Hickory Hollow BBQ restaurant around the corner from SHRP on Fallbrook near Fairbanks N Houston.

North Carolina
5. Re: Restaurants near Sam Houston Race Park

Thank you all for your suggestions!! We will be coming in on 290, but to be on the safe side I will ask the car rental agency about the toll tag (we are flying in from NC).

I read about Hickory Hollow, but Steamboat House looks like a great option - they both open at 11am so that would work. We have a rule when traveling - always eat somewhere we couldn't eat at home and these 2 look like great options.

Houston, TX
6. Re: Restaurants near Sam Houston Race Park

Steamboat House is the Sam Houston Steakhouse I was talking about. I couldn't remember it's name. A lot of people call it Sam Houston because it's by the Sam Houston Toll Rd (Beltway 8), the Sam Houston Race Park, and it has a Sam Houston statue in front of it. The statue, I believe, is a smaller replica of the huge one that sits on I-45 near Huntsville. I haven't been there but my hubby says it's really good.

If you don't have a toll tag, you can pay at a toll both. It's like $1.50. It's easier if you have quarters.

North Carolina
7. Re: Restaurants near Sam Houston Race Park

Thanks MommyCPA - good to know!

Houston, Texas
reviews: 11
8. Re: Restaurants near Sam Houston Race Park

I've been to Steamboat House for business lunches (a good central meeting for people coming up from the Energy Corridor and down from the Woodlands, BTW.) Like I said before, it doesn't look like much from the outside but inside it's a different experience. I would recommend making reservations as they are making an exception for cirque du soleil (usually they are closed on Sundays...)

Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 316
9. Re: Restaurants near Sam Houston Race Park

Hi,

I agree that Steamboat House is a good choice,thay have a happy hour in the bar, with half priced appetizers. You might enjoy their crab cakes; they are large and Full of crab!

We were a little disappointed in our strip steak on our last visit, but a friend got a small filet, and it was very good. Sides are all good, and large enough to share. Management is very nice here, and the decor is Texas history cool! Be sure to walk back into their event room, it's really fun!

Hope you enjoy!

cc,

Cupcake

10. Re: Restaurants near Sam Houston Race Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:37 am, September 07, 2012
Edited: 9:37 am, September 07, 2012